• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win98SE Startup Problems / Virus Program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Richard1728

Hello Again,

First thanks for all the assistance thus far. I beleive that I am making Progress.

I did as was recommend, I reinstalled my windows programs, and moved my modem card to another PCI slot. The system is working great. The problem is that when I install a virus program I receive startup error messages. I have tried Norton Anti Virus protection and PC-cillin.

Both programs cause the same types of error messages when installed. I have currently uninstalled the virus programs and the system is again working correctly.

What can be done as I know that a system must have virus protection.

Richard

Here is the system,

System is running windows 98SE

ASUS mother board A7V266E VIA KT266A WITH DDR

AMD ATHLON XP 1900

VIDEO CARD GEFORCE 3 TITANIUM 200 64 MEG DDR NVIDIA

HARD DRIVE IBM DESK STAR 75GXP 45 GIG

FAX MODEM LUCENT PCI 56K V90

LOGITECH TRACKMAN MOUSE

MICROSOFT KEYBOARD

RAM DDR /184PIN/ 256 MEG

NOTE THAT I AM NOT OVERCLOCKING THE SYSTEM

Last edited:

Xaotic

Very kind Senior
What error messages are you getting? There may be codes that can be researched to determine the source of the problem.

trulyred

did you say your os is win98se? did you also load 98plus? if so there is an anti-virus program already installed it is mcafee virus scan you would have to uninstall it first before you can load some other virus protection software. Mcafee and norton dont get along on the same pc.:D

If you are commited to virus protection on your pc you may want to consider an upgradeable virus protection for a fee service,I have used it for several yrs now and have found it worth while.there are several out there and everyone here will have an opinion on which is the best one so I am hesitant to recommend any one particular service.If you want to know who I usejust pm me.....tr

Cooler666

Disabled
trulyred said:

If you are commited to virus protection on your pc you may want to consider an upgradeable virus protection for a fee service,I have used it for several yrs now and have found it worth while.there are several out there and everyone here will have an opinion on which is the best one so I am hesitant to recommend any one particular service.If you want to know who I usejust pm me.....tr

basically just use Norton :bday: