• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Winders 11 Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
. . . In the power options there are power plans (default 3, the ryzen plan doesn't even appear on the list) but no shortcut/link for plans' details. I still have to go to the old control panel to adjust everything else like screen power saving or a sleep mode . . .

I still use Control Panel heavily. MS stated some time ago they intended to phase it out but I hope they never do. I'm used to it and can find what I need more quickly than I can with the Windows 10 "Settings" gear.

I still use Control Panel heavily. MS stated some time ago they intended to phase it out but I hope they never do. I'm used to it and can find what I need more quickly than I can with the Windows 10 "Settings" gear.
Not just that, but there's some applications, including their own tool for managing SCCM/configuration manager that is slotted into control panel

Using the script linked in post #12 in this thread I built an installer and installed Windows 11 Pro on an old Athlon II X4 system and it seems to work perfectly. Not even any flags in device manager.

So......... you have to double click the power button to get the Restart/Power Off/Sleep menu to come up? Is this better or worse than, 'are you sure' dialog box? :rofl:

Made a full backup image and upgraded to 11 to try it out. This should be called Windows 8 3/4, it's about as bland as you can get with icons and colors then to throw in the inefficiency of basic tasks and general layout. Back to windows 10 until they either redesign or someone makes a windows 10 UI!

What basic tasks take longer for you?

Another quibble I have is with audio. In 10, you can right click on the speaker in the task bar and a mini-menu pops up to switch. The input. Now you need to into sound properties to change it. Bleh.

Another quibble I have is with audio. In 10, you can right click on the speaker in the task bar and a mini-menu pops up to switch. The input. Now you need to into sound properties to change it. Bleh.

That's what I meant by basic tasks, simple things are now hidden away in menus or have to hunt them in the settings page. I just didn't like the overall look and layout of windows 11, graphical equivalent of looking at solitaire lol.

It's growing on me. No major complaints, but those foibles do exist. Not enough to go back to 10 or call it 8, though. :rofl:

Yeah, I've been using it on my laptop with a bluetooth earpiece and it is clearly more work when I walk away and come back to get the sound to go how i want it to.

I've been running it for a bit. It's not bad. Still using classic shell.

I'm using Open Shell. Did you have to create a 1% transparent .png image to go over the start button so you can actually use the CS start button and not the default Win 11 Start Button menu? Took me a little bit to get it to work, but it is nice now that I have.

22000.282 was released to Windows Update today, and updated AMD Chipset drivers have been released also: https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

These two things combined now fully resolve both the Ryzen L3 cache issues and the Ryzen preferred core issue: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-400

If you have a Ryzen, I strongly recommend installing the new chipset drivers immediately after upgrading to 22000.282 (the cumulative security update released today 10/21). I've been running the exact same build (22000.282) on the beta for a few days, using the old chipset drivers, and have had very unpredictable behavior in games including pausing that lasts for several seconds and sometimes caused the game to crash. Installing the new chipset drivers on 22000.282 instantly resolved all issues that I was having.

Yep... finally out. Running tests against that now, but it looks like the AIDA L3 results are back to normal (~10ns and the proper bandwidth).

I'm using Open Shell. Did you have to create a 1% transparent .png image to go over the start button so you can actually use the CS start button and not the default Win 11 Start Button menu? Took me a little bit to get it to work, but it is nice now that I have.

Never had to do that. Weird thing is now I have 2 start buttons. The center one from win11 and the original to the left on task bar. Tried to relocate the center one to the left, but it overlapped the original one which was a pita. I'm not happy with the shortcuts in the center looking like a linux distro. Can't find a way to delete/unpin the center start button either.

Never had to do that. Weird thing is now I have 2 start buttons. The center one from win11 and the original to the left on task bar. Tried to relocate the center one to the left, but it overlapped the original one which was a pita. I'm not happy with the shortcuts in the center looking like a linux distro. Can't find a way to delete/unpin the center start button either.

I'll upload my custom .png. You can select it as an alternate start button. It covers the new one almost entirely (at least on my surface screen, which is some weird 2K or 3K format). You could resize it if needed.

Also, I was able to move the taskbar icon over to the center. I'll see if I can find the setting and screenshot it for you.

The one thing I'm really find annoying is when I go to shut down if there is an update, the options are on my menu to install updates and either restart or shut down, and also plain restart or shutdown without updating. However with Win 11 and Open Shell, when I select plain shutdown, it updates anyway.

Ok, taskbar location is right click on the taskbar and click on the taskbar settings. The screen the opens up, is personalization > taskbar. Scroll down to taskbar behaviors and expand it. First option is taskbar alignment.

settings.jpg

And here is the replacement start button icon.

test icon 6.png

You get to selecting settings for classic / open shell and check "replace start button", and select custom image, and click on the "Pick Image" box.

Hope this helps!

Back