• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Window Rubber Molding?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

H8Edge

Registered
Anyone know of a decent place to get just the rubber molding for windows? I got lots of Plexi and I'm starting to go window crazy lately.. :) I would imagine that kind of molding couldn't be used for anything other than what we use it for, so hardware stores are out..

Just curious if anyone knows a decent place where I can get me lots of molding.. Like a place that sells it by the foot or however.. I've seen a few sites that did, but it seemed a little expensive, so I'm still looking..

im not sure..but if you mean some thing like whats on my case, you can get it at an autoparts store like advance auto, western auto, or pep boys...though they dont sell it by the foot..I bought 2 packs of it for 8.50 enough to do 2 medium windows

You had to glue yours in though right? I'm looking for something with a locking strip that I can slip the window in and take it out when I get to doing my mirror finish paint job..

I love your window though.. Your window is actually what originally inspired me to become a window nut :) I have two Antec cases.. One uncut and the other with a little cheesy 12X12 window in it.. After I saw yours, I decided that window could be much better..

Get some car door molding (Autozone or some auto parts store) and put that around the edge of the window. Then just attach a sheet of plexiglass to the inside of the case panel with mounting tape. It's a lot easier than getting the molding that has an H-shaped cross section. You have to cut the window to just the right size and then fit it into a groove with that stuff. This method is simple, quick, and looks good.

That locking molding isn't all that particularly easy to work with, and I wasn't all that crazy about the end result. You can push the window in and out at any time. Next window I'm going with the door molding.

I went to a window store for mine. Went into the back and they had rolls of this stuff. I got about 10 feet for 5 dollars. Im going back for more and if you guys want pics of this stuff, i can email it and someone can host it for me.

Anyone have any closeup pics of the car door molding closeup? Just curious how it looks from the outside.. So far I haven't had a hard time with the "H" style stuff... If u cut the seam just right you cant see it and so far mine are so snug I can't push them out.. I think it looks really nice, but if the car door molding doesn't look that much different when it's finished maybe I'll just go that route..

H8Edge said:
Anyone have any closeup pics of the car door molding closeup? Just curious how it looks from the outside.. So far I haven't had a hard time with the "H" style stuff... If u cut the seam just right you cant see it and so far mine are so snug I can't push them out.. I think it looks really nice, but if the car door molding doesn't look that much different when it's finished maybe I'll just go that route..
It's a little pixellated because of my camera. Here's the window from my computer done with chrome car door molding.

Back