• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Windows 10 Activation not working after MB change

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ivy

Unfortunately i had to Switch out my old MB with a new one of the exact same spec (not that it matters to MS; they simply read out a MB Code and any similarities are ignored because the stupid track Computer will simply read "another MB" and issue fixed = bann it.)

Now sure, with the new anniversary Edition of Win 10 the PC can be linked to an account and so if there is any changes i can fix the issue, but unfortunately my OS-DVD was NOT the anniversary Edition and this Option was not included and i still was lacking the info of being able to link PCs to account in order to prevent this issue. Now i was indeed creating an account (no issue at all) but once again... unfortunately my OLD MB was not linked so this Option is totaly useless at the current time.

Yes, there could be the phone call... and once again, unfortunately the phone number is not working for me... the operater is not reachable, so i am simply out of luck there...

Finally... seriously, i was buying a full and valid copy of Windows 10 PRO and now i am basically locked out as a stranger who got no legal copy... i guess they really should be burning at a no good place for sure for creating this issue for me.

As i am not already unlucky losing a MB, it seems i lose my ... unfortunately... PAID OS too ... unless some angel would be able to fix something else or maybe knows some magical trick...

Well... if so... i would be glad Hearing from it.

In Overall... i think, Win 7 was the best OS until Win 10 anniversary Edition was released... now it is in my mind finally a worthy OS in order to make Win 7 a Thing of the past. Just to say some nice words still because hate leads to nowhere but indeed i was very unlucky.

Regarding this matter, Win 7 was less restrictive, i already had to Switch out a MB on a Win 7 PC aswell and it was no issue at all, now Win 10 is different... at least without the account-binding trick.

Last edited:
Did you call the number in these instructions? (You probably did, but I have to start somewhere :) )
1. Right Click on Start icon, then click Run (Administrator), then type: slui.exe 4
2. Next press the 'ENTER' key
3. Select your 'Country' from the list.
4. Choose the 'Phone Activation' option.
5. Stay on the phone (do not select/press any options) and wait for a person to help you with activation.

Operator, Person or whatever is not reachable, i was trying it several times and for several days.

Sure, this option would do the trick, but it´s not worth a lot of Cent when Operator almost? never is reachable. In my mind clearly fail.

As, Windows 10 anniversary is out for some time with a new method of activation i would suggest simply to RESET any PC who actually had a VALID license and who was actually ACTIVATED. In order to allow them for a account binding-action on absolutly any PC currently in use (they can reset it 1 time but Need to make account binding).

MS could fix the issue in such a easy way but question is if they would be sufficiently Kind and gentle for doing it, who knows. It would not lead to "pirated activations" because they never had a activation at all. In term they simply want to increase OS sells by banning valid licenses for use (MB destroyed... = almost ban), i think they once again seems not to make everyone enjoy their OS and is it worth it creating such hassles for maybe a few % of users actually affected?

I dont know, really... but apart from this hilarious issue, finally a good OS after Win 7, have to say it twice.

Last edited:
Well, i am able to open the "contact Support" app. Sure my OS is a OEM (usually less Support) but at least it´s a pricy PRO Version and they usually got some added Options.

Guess i can try...

I was checking it out: Chat + Phone is currently disabled in "contact Support" but this is no miracle because in my Country it´s currently 22.34.
Maybe in the US the Chat is enabled but i don´t know if they allow me to lurk into the US market.

My Country is Switzerland (rather bad luck there, guess no issue for US customers).

For activation OEM should get the same support, but should and do are sometimes not the same. Good luck!
I think so, an activation process is not really a big Thing and is not putting lot of support-strain on them. But just as you told "should and do is not always the same".

Still... a PRO Version is a rather pricy Windows usually not used by the majority but with my pricy Hardware it was adding almost nothing anymore, clearly different for users of cheaper Systems.

Last edited:
Certainly... i was buying the PRO because i was hoping for some added Options. Now in this case the added Option could be a increased Support... so let´s see if it works somehow.

Ah well, Chat should be open between 9 and 16 (in my Country) so i guess i simply have to wait and try it out as soon as Chat may be enabled.

Besides, sure, old MB got warranty but Service in General is not very well in my Country and almost impossible finding a good vendor with lot of Service (reason why i only look at the Price, Service is always bad anyway). So it means that i will have to turn the MB in, they will check it out, then they gonna send it to the manufacturer and the manufacturer is not gonna repair it. Their whole interest is checking it out if there is any user-made failures so they are hoping for denying the warranty. In term they are unable denying it, they may send a new one to the vendor and finally to me. Ultimately the whole process can take several weeks and i Need the new MB way sooner than this. So i had to get a new MB... it may lead to 2 MBs at some Point but it will be a different MB (repair is way to pricy and even very difficult for most Hardware), so the OS can not be saved without a reactivation, this is certain. It will go to hell together with the MB without reactivation. :-/

Good Service would mean that the vendor is checking out the MB and handing me out another MB of the same type in a instant. Stuff like this once worked with a GPU i was turning in but it didn´t work for other Hardware (a drive) anymore and generally, Actions like this is slowly becoming wiped out it seems. Most vendors are not willing to Switch out stuff instantly and it surely can be the dice roll of making me willing to pay a Bonus or if i only go for lowest Price. Again, a good Service is almost impossible nowadays, so i generally save me the hassle and just buy warranty stuff 2 times in a row and in term i have "to many" i´m gonna sell it or maybe use for another build. ;)

Last edited:
No, i was able to contact the Chat Support but the first representative was totally a jerk (no Knowledge at all) and the second one he told me that i use a OEM Version. This Version i was buying in a usual shop in a (in my mind) legal way (around 150 USD).

He told me that my Version is a developer (whats a developer anyway, this is hypocrisy, seriously) Version. Furthermore my Version could or should be illegal and he had in mind it could be stolen by someone (microspot.ch techmania.ch and much more ugly Robbers°, almost anyone selling OEM licenses) and then the shop is selling a pirated copy to me and it could be activated by many many many many many many many PCs already. We had over 1 hour of Chat regarding this issue (Shops selling OEM to customers) but finally i told him as the very last words: But my OEM Version was activated just one single time and not many many many many PCs... because all i Need to do is a single MB Switch (or PC Switch) and it will be banned forever. And he told me that MS is not providing those Shops with a legal copy°° (legal means, not a OEM i believe, OEM = illegal it seems) or anything like this... and i asked where to buy, but he was closing Chat right after asking it. So i have no clue where to BUY a apparently legal copy. I may buy Retail Version next but honestly... they could be telling me that i may have once again something illegal (because almost any shop got apparently illegal stuff, this is a huge issue). So i have to buy a new copy everytime there is a issue i guess. Because MS is almost bankcrupt or something? Why to buy a retail, the Support may always have some excuse i believe and best never to have any issue at all.

°Everything you can see here is OEM and every customer buying it may be illegal, this is beyond good and bad, sorry to say. In term MS is unable to make almost every shop illegal they should stop punishing customers, they have a internal issue... this is not the customers Problem.
https://www.toppreise.ch/prod_417715.html

°°This is not true, MS is providing almost any shop with a legal OEM, because they ask for it and MS simply want the Money (they know exactly that most of those copys are sold to customers instead of internal builds). OK sure, apparently in Switzerland, almost any shop can sell illegal Windows copys and NO ONE... no one can prevent it, but those Shops would act against the law and they can be punished any time, because we do have this law (owning is fine but spreading or sharing a illegal Software is illegal), and if it really would be a pirated copy, MS can bring them to the court any time possible. OK, they don´t do it because...to much Money involved into selling tons of OEMs, in fact... it sells much better than Retail i do believe. So MS is simply playing with innocent customers... this is by all means a inacceptable Situation.

I hope MS is bringing me to the court, because if this happens i will use a sword as big as the whole world and i will make the best law Management in the entire history of humankind. The entire Situation is inacceptable.

Of Course i was telling the representative not to act overly strict and simply use customer friendly solution, but absolutly impossible and it will not hurt even to Hand out a bad Image, they can afford it (i know this stuff from somewhere... bank or something).

Fact is... a customer is made to be the idiot here because they can not judge what is right or wrong, this is absolutly inacceptable.

MS you are a sucker and i am officially mad at you. You will hear from me and the only reason i still use your OS is because i know no better OS for gaming. I´m really upset now and i will take any Action possible against this very customer hostile attitude. You think you are more powerful than any customer, right? We will see who is right, bring it on.

Sure, next OS is gonna be another OEM (unfortunately not robbed somewhere, i would be glad doing it but i´m simply a shy and innocent being so i can´t do the trick) and will bind it to account in order to prevent such issues. MS did no good by this sort of Actions it will hit them in their right-management back... stay tuned, it will happen. They will not make legal customers happy using this sort of Actions who is hitting simply the wrong People and putting inferior distrust around the world.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-make-your-windows-7-pc-genuine-again-after-a-hardware-upgrade/
I can tell this words are not true to me: Many people have noticed that Microsoft is more flexible than the language in their license agreements would lead you to believe. + And, if you have an actual legitimate copy of Windows, Microsoft will likely be happy to make it genuine again if you go through the activation process and give them a phone call.

Anyway, this Situation is hilarious... how can this happen at all... someone should tell me.

Of Course i will ask all the Shops what is actually Happening here and i want to know their supply chain, i want to pin down the issue and discover what is actually going on and i am sure MS is NOT innocent. I do not want to deal with but MS is asking for, a small Little Company and not much more, because the smallest will become the biggest... and first will be last in term someone is making me mad.

It´s simply to much of hard drugs in order to understand for innocent being. Someone may think it can´t be real but it is real.

Last edited:
MS sells legitimate OEM copies of their OS' all over the place. Perhaps inform the shop where you purchased the disc that M$ accused them of theft, and see if you can enlist their help?

I know they are selling a superload of OEMs and that MS is actually fully guilty regarding this issue but the stupid MS representatives are telling me that all those Shops are wrong.... excuse me... if they really would be wrong they will not be able to sell this stuff anymore because MS is still not small enough in order not to prevent such a issue.

Problem is, the vendor is not able to execute a lot because it doesnt matter valid or invalid, in term i want my key unblocked i Need the help of a representative and those representatives can not be contacted by a vendor. In fact, the representatives are telling me to contact the vendor and not reverse order (not even possible). Actually MS is not considering themself "in Charge of the issue", because the issue is the vendor and not MS, so they finish my Chat and that´s it, yes it really is as stupid as this.

To be honest, the representatives are the lowest in the MS Food chain and actually in many Terms incapable and if so they even got in mind to protect MS from fraud and that their Action is fully valid because customers according to part 8 of license Agreement got no right. But... honestly... do customers even own any real rights against a Company that is not small enough to be a fly.

Sure i can contact my vendor but seriously... i wonder how they may react, you know how it works: They will tell me to contact MS because they do not feel in Charge of this issue and MS will do the same, we can go back and forth and it will never be solved, this is nightmare.

My mind is full of dirty stuff anyway, for example: In term i know the Location of this activation Server i would like to Smash it with a very big hammer, it would be such a great pleasure. Seems like doing it is easyer than any other Action.

Last edited:
Fact is, the OEM has been sold to the vendor by MS, not any different Party, it was MS. But MS (a representative at least, may not Count for entire MS Group) is denying this fact and is telling me that all those Shops are not legal.

Shops such as microspot.ch a member of a big Supermarket Group and they can NOT afford it to make illegal stuff such as selling illegal copys of any type, but the MS representative was telling me that exactly this shop was not legal. Sure i was checking it out precisely, this is a fully legal OEM copy directly from MS. I have to tell it countless times because hard to believe all the stuff Happening here are actually true. Again, those representatives are lowest in Food chain and they can not be trusted.

But why why why why why do they Need to act cockily, why why why? They can just be friendly and act gentle and try to assist a customer the best way possible, simply Show some heart, this is all what MS will Need in order to become popular in any aspect.
Nope, i tried the phone call many times, very difficult to even reach the Operator and it seems like it is not automated else it would not be a issue at all. Why not automated? Well, i guess they want to ask me the same hilarious stuff such as the Chat representative.

Last edited:
The last link I posted goes to a site to purchase a product key for Windows 10 Pro. Not the optimal solution, but maybe a lot easier at this point.

26 EUR? How is this even possible? I paid several times (almost 6 times) more than this (yet MS still was nuking it).
Nah.. not sure it works because it´s probably old OEM keys from destroyed machines or whatelse and i may Need to use the phone call System but this one is not working for me.

But i could even live being a guilty being because it´s a honor to be guilty in the mind of "the somewhat powerful companys" but the ugly drawbacks of no personalisation and on top of this i see the activation tag even inside gaming, the OS is able to attach it to my ingame Screen even... :-/ As i said... 150 USD and this is the reward.

Whatever i do something legal or not... i always will end up into being a thief, thats MS for you. I guess i still try the most valid way possible and may use the Chat some more times, maybe i meet a less stupid representative in some tryouts... who knows.

But now i understand whats going on. MS was shutting down the automated phone System because to much old OEM key reactivations and it kinda was becoming a own market (i dont judge its validity, in my mind MS is the most invalid if it Comes to guilt) and MS kinda had in mind i could be using such a key. This is indeed hilarious because such a key would mean to abandon as good as ANY Hardware linked to this key but in my case the MB is the only abandoned part and if MS would be more competent they can clearly separat those matters but MS and competence... don´t make me laugh.

Even to fight users who, for some reason, may be getting cheaper keys is hilarious and having a bad heart is not a Situation leading to prosperity, this is Illusion. If so, they should simply accept this reality and act Kind hearted still.

MS said, a Win 10 machine got lifetime upgrade for as Long as it will last. Ok, how Long will it be? Maybe next time you only Need to lose your RAM and then you are wiped... so People finally start to realize what´s going on? The lifetime upgrade can be a very limiting factor when used in a very restrictive way. Of Course, the RAM is not a machine and not even the MB but this is how the OS works. It may handle every single part as a own machine in extreme cases, this is truly hilarious and once again MS was able to make a Profit oriented move.

Last edited:
Back