• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
okay, let's see what this is...

• Security Features. So this is good news for people who use no third-party protection but it's not like the rest of us will uninstall our third party antivirus and third party firewall software. I am guessing Avira and Comodo freeware are still better than Microsoft's security products...

• Screen pen use for touch screen hardware... but if you have no touch screen hardware... then this is not for you. I would have thought here would have been tons of apps for this already...

• Cortana is now active after you lock your computer... if you like Cortana everywhere, this one's for you, it is now everywhere.

• Microsoft says they made improvements to their browser. Who here would switch to Edge from Firefox or Chrome... ever? Technically more than 9/10 people on the forums would not - judging by people's posts. Why does Edge have no Menu you can turn on so that you can save a web page as an html file. If it does and if you can, I couldn't figure it out in less than 60 seconds before just looking for IE on the machine I tried to do this. They made it clean by removing features or making them hard to find?

• If you go out and buy a brand new XBox for three or four hundred dollars, you can play its games on PC too. Nice feature. You would think there would be an app for this installable on all Windows 10 versions though... Great marketing for a new XBox purchase, if there isn't.

That number will go up as July 29th approaches.
It would be interesting to see how easy it will be to activate on July 28th... ;)
I need to hurry up and buy components before then so I can activate my Win 8 Pro on them...
I predict a two minutes to midnight procrastination activation... :D

I predict a two minutes to midnight procrastination activation... :D

lol :p

I haven't been following as much lately....Did they address the media center situation yet ??

Make it a pay for app or leave it up to third parties ??

They did not address it because not allowing us to DVR TV was by design, a very much per-meditated decision, not a mistake.
I think the most interesting new feature is being able to play games on both PC and XBox but a brand new Xbox is needed for that though...

Microsoft begins sign-off process for the Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Microsoft has officially kicked off the internal sign-off process for the Windows 10 'Anniversary Update', which after several months of development is almost ready for the public. Internal sources have confirmed to me that build 14384 is the first 'release to manufacturing' or RTM candidate build to have been compiled and that we should have a final build ready for the public by the end of next week if everything goes well.

Read more...

They did not address it because not allowing us to DVR TV was by design, a very much per-meditated decision, not a mistake.
I think the most interesting new feature is being able to play games on both PC and XBox but a brand new Xbox is needed for that though...

The PC/Xbox cross-play stuff doesn't require you own an xbox. The pre-existing benefit is you can stream your xbox one to your Windows 10 PC via the xbox app. There's nothing new there.

being able to play xbox games on your windows 10 computer via their 'play-anywhere' setup doesn't require an xbox at all. The games are being released for both platforms.

lol :p

I haven't been following as much lately....Did they address the media center situation yet ??

Make it a pay for app or leave it up to third parties ??

I broke down and bought a new TV tuner card for my build and an extra CD for the card in my current rig because it's going to my daughter and she may want W 10 someday. I'm putting W 10 Pro on the new rig, so I had to do something.

Interesting.
Which one, please post which TV guide it is using and how it's working in comparison to Windows Media Center TV Guide.

- - - Updated - - -

'Cuda340, that's also an interesting quote.
I thought they wouldn't release this before the free upgrade ends.

Will the general public be able to download Windows 10 Anniversary Update before July 29?

Think I will do initial install in the next couple of weeks just to activate, then do nothing until 8/2. Then nuke and install this version fresh.

C6 are you not still an "Insider" ??

If you are you'll be able to test before release date.....How much before unknown, but before.

Yes I am.
But this one is for upgrading Windows 8 Retail on my new system I just purchased a couple of hours ago.
I bought the first i7 CPU ever to come out, very first order ever available, I remember Intel was suppose to release it on a Monday but Sunday night newegg let the orders come in...
Have not changed rigs since.

The new one will have Retail Windows 10, not Insider 10.

The reason I am interested in the new one is when the new major build is released it resets A LOT of custom setting in Windows 10.
So my starting point on my new rig will be this build, thank you for starting this thread.

Interesting.
Which one, please post which TV guide it is using and how it's working in comparison to Windows Media Center TV Guide.

- - - Updated - - -

'Cuda340, that's also an interesting quote.

Will the general public be able to download Windows 10 Anniversary Update before July 29?

Sorry! I missed this earlier. I bought a Hauppauge Quad TV tuner, which sadly won't be available until the end of July according to Hauppauge. (I bought it in their webstore. They had the lowest price by a fair margin) I haven't installed the software yet as it needs the card in place first. I was going to install the old tuner card until the new one arrived but the new mobo has no PCI slots. :bang head So I'm without a DVR until the end of the month. My old rig is in the process of disassembly for cleaning so I can't use that.

We need someone with MSDN / TechNet subscription to post what build is available there this week.
The one thing you do not want to do is download a Windows installation ISO from anywhere else but directly from Microsoft or from someone you know got it directly from Microsoft. Do not download an operating system from unknown sources, that should be obvious but people do that all the time before a major Windows release.

Alaric, how much and what model tuner.

Is that some sort of a brand new 2016 model?
Please PM me the thread if you start one when you get it.

Back