• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Windows 10 constant low HDD use (not 'heartbeat')

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I haven't figured it out yet...guess it isn't a PCIe thing either (as suspected anyway). I haven't had the time to re-image even... :(

Thanks for the screenshot!

NP man. I just had it up and going then noticed your message in the chat box so I had a look.

ED - my Windows 10 drive usage looks like what the other folks posted here.

Do you have any indexing service or virus scanning going on in the background?

Nope (well did and disabled it, no change, so I re-enabled it) and Nope. I only have Windows Defender loaded and its not doing a thing. I loaded Malwarebytes and ran it, came up clean.

Hrm...have you checked under the "Processes" tab (viewing all threads) to see which Windows process is using it?

Have you check in the Resource Monitor to see who is using it?

Can you try the link below ? my windows/internet became snappier, so i assume it stopped various background processes, might help troubleshoot ? it has 3 settings : recommended, recommended+limited or all, do a restart after each setting.

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

I hate software like that... LOL... but I will give a try when I have some time and report back. The curious thing about all of this is that I do not recall it happening after installation and I got things setup (programs installed, etc).

ON the review machine, it also has a fully updated W10, does NOT exhibit this behavior.

Thanks! :)

Can you try the link below ? my windows/internet became snappier, so i assume it stopped various background processes, might help troubleshoot ? it has 3 settings : recommended, recommended+limited or all, do a restart after each setting.

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
I had a chance to try this last night and it did not work. Thanks for the idea though. :)

Looks like I am just going to restore/re-image and go from there.

I read that it is part of a Microsoft conspiracy. You see, with Windows 10, the PC is constantly listening for sound. When it senses speech, it starts recording everything to the hard drive...and then slowly uploads this data to Microsoft. They code named this project "Origin".

Oh wait...wrong thread...

I read that it is part of a Microsoft conspiracy. You see, with Windows 10, the PC is constantly listening for sound. When it senses speech, it starts recording everything to the hard drive...and then slowly uploads this data to Microsoft. They code named this project "Origin".

Interesting, wonder how they do it with no microphone connected ;)

Actually , I think they named it 'Cortana'. LOL

Interesting, wonder how they do it with no microphone connected ;)

Well - according to the laws of electromagnetics, every speaker is a microphone and every microphone is a speaker!

But, this technology is sooooo good that it doesn't need a microphone or speaker connected!

Yeah...that's it...that's the ticket! :thup:

I had a chance to try this last night and it did not work. Thanks for the idea though. :)

Looks like I am just going to restore/re-image and go from there.

Hey ED,

Sorry if you've already tried this....

Open Task Manager... Under Processes... sort by disk usage.

right click the process that's using your hard drive, select Go To Details.

The details tab will pop up with what I can only assume will be a svchost.exe selected. (or somethine else)

right click the svchost.exe (or whatever is selected) and select Go to Services.

The services tab will pop up and you'll have the name of the service that is using your HD. sometimes more than one service will be selected... for example windows update uses the wuauserv service, bit service, and one other i cant remember atm.

From there we can figure out why your having a heartbeat hard drive issue. (hopefully)

Let me know what you find-

-TC

I feel like I have traveled halfway down that path, but not to the end (was in task mgr -> performance monitor -> HDD -> found 'system' that was making all the noise and saw a slew of things that changed).. I will report back tonight with pretty pictures. :)

Here is a screenshot...
Looks like it is the system and compressed memory service is what it opened to.

actvity2.jpg

Last edited:
ED,

Thats not quite what I am looking for. I was hoping to find what service is running that's causing your issue.

Open a fresh instance of task manager. (im not worried about resource manager).

Sort your processes by disk usage:

1.PNG

Select the process that has the highest disk usage, right click, select Go To Details:

2.PNG

When the details tab opens, something will be selected- right click on it and select Go To Services:

3.PNG

When the services tab opens, you'll notice certain services selected:

5.PNG

Can I have a screenshot of the selected services?

-TC

Back