• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Windows 10 constant low HDD use (not 'heartbeat')

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Shoot, forgot the services screen... I'll post it up in a bit.

How quickly I forget........

System and compressed memory is up at the top of teh task manage/services...go to services is greyed out. But that is what stays up at the top...
1.jpg 2.jpg

I think I found the culprit... it may be the Logitech webcam software...........its not pictured here because I closed it down, when I typically do not....

Edit: the service was second in the list when it was there. Uninstaller the application, reboot... gone!!!

Thanks for leading the horse to water TC!! Also everyone in the thread that helped. :)

Last edited:
Glad to see you got it sorted :thup:

So the webcam was constantly accessing the HDD ? SMILE : you're on Candid Camera :rofl:

Well, I did have a Webcam attached at one point, but not recently. I wonder if the software was polling for the camera....but why would it use the hdd if that were true?

In many threads of mine you've read, you will recall I posted about my Windows 10 constantly scanning each and every file of my entire system.
You'll recall how I pointed out that I went out of my way to specifically disable everything, every single thing I could think of inside the Windows 10 OS, indexing, firewall/defender, everything....

I have some false positives tucked away on my system I used to test anti virus programs to test their definitions and when Windows 10 scans them - my Avira anti-virus of course intercepts this. My anti-virus is specifically set to never automatically scan my system for this reason. Everything is manual on my system and I have identical programs installed on my Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10 same system multi-boot.

Your problem may not be related but my Windows 10 IS scanning everything I own, and I can't tell you how long and in-deep I studied ALL Windows 10 options before concluding this cannot be turned off and something very fishy is going on... I reimage my OS all the time and before I go to Windows update, I reimage my system, Windows update, then image again so nothing is in that image other than fresh install, modified and 100% malware free.

I am waiting until July to make a new main rig and install Windows 10 retail on it to retest this topic on a new system, but yes absolutely, Windows 10 scans every file on every hard drive I have, and the only thing about this is that I do have an identical Windows 8.0 setup on the same system where this does not happen from which I have to conclude that it is Windows 10 mandatory constant scan that cannot be turned off, at least in my case.

So ever since windows XP you've added another layer to your multi-boot? That's genius, why didn't I think of that! Also, this general issue is very interesting.....I have noticed the same occasional mini-spikes on Windows 10 as well. Though when I recently did a fresh install it went away. I can only wonder what the culprit was in my case.

Mine too...

Funny part is, I never noticed that service up towards the top before for whatever reason.

I think I will reach out to Logitech to let them know/see if others are experiencing the problem.

Anyone happen to have W10 and a logitech camera care to test??

I have one at the office, but I won't be back there for at least a few days (was just in the office yesterday)

If you have the time, see if you are getting that activity... then unplug it and see if you get that activity (mine was unplugged, FYI).

Back