• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 corrupt on MBR but not on GPT partition. SSD problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sew333

Hi. I had fresh clean install of Windows 10 Pro in MBR scheme . I want to know what caused this.
Task manager and event viewer was not responding and some of the applications was not responding too. I was clicking and nothing happening. It was related to hardware or software? Disk was formatted due to MBR partition.

My disk is Samsung Evo 250 GB , and 2x8gb Kingston Hyperx 1600mhz.

Smart on disk is fine, GOOD status in Samsung MAgician and no errors in HD TUNE. Memtest86 not showing errors.

After format to GPT and install again Windows 10 all is fine and working properly. Just want to know what caused issue before format. Thx. It was related to windows/software or my ssd?

Also this is screen from Magician:
image.jpg

I made topic because some peoples told me that corrupt data using MBR can be caused by faulty SSD.

This:
"One of GPT's features is better reliability for its partition info: "On an MBR disk, the partitioning and boot data is stored in one place. If this data is overwritten or corrupted, you’re in trouble. In contrast, GPT stores multiple copies of this data across the disk, so it’s much more robust and can recover if the data is correupted. GPT also stores cyclic redundancy check (CRC) values to check that its data is intact — if the data is corrupted, GPT can notice the problem and attempt to recover the damaged data from another location on the disk. MBR had no way of knowing if its data was corrupted — you’d only see there was a problem when the boot process failed or your drive’s partitions vanished.
If your Samsung Evo 250 GB drives need refreshing or formatting that often, it's time for new SSDs that don't have that problem.
"" "

So maybe it is something with my SSD if it get corrupted on MBR partition and needs refreshing? Like i said on GPT partition all is fine.

This:" if the data is corrupted, GPT can notice the problem and attempt to recover the damaged data from another location on the disk. MBR had no way of knowing if its data was corrupted "

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
OP
S

sew333

So if on GPT is fine its not necessary that is something wrong with ssd? ( even if system get corrupted on MBR )

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
That's what I said, and a couple other people already in the past two days, AND when you brought this up in January. Your hardware is fine.

OP
S

sew333

Last question. Somebody said to me :"However I believe is just incompatibility with the SSD and your motherboard working on MBR."

But from what i know UEFI can work well with MBR still. I can use UEFI with MBR.

So maybe reason was elsewhere?

satrow

Welcome back, sew.

I'm pleased to see your hardware is still working as it should :)