• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 - Fresh start for my parents...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TransformedBG

So Im just trying to install a new Hard drive and put windows 10 back on their little laptop... Nothing special, they just had their hard drive crash. Anyways... I know back in windows 7 i could just use the admin account to set up/install all the programs on the pc, then have it run like the first boot up again so they could pick their log on's and passwords and such. typically after that i had a seperate partition with a virtual disk on it with all their important files on it they could access to get them back. While i managed to recover a few things off their old hard drive, i cant get everything as its corrupt. I was going to try and swap the board off another one but i dont have any spares laying around at the moment. Anyways i digress.. anyway i can get get windows 10 to just boot like first time and use the admin account? or do i just need to make a temp account and remove it once im done?

It's always a good idea to have a separate admin account in case the main user account becomes broken and you need to access stuff from it. I would not remove it. I would also recommend creating a local account for your parents as opposed to a Microsoft account for login purposes. They can still use a microsoft account for the store and for mail, etc. but still keep the local account for login. I know this doesn't address your main issue but when you do a new install I suggest these things.

Also nothing to do with original question but I also updated my mom and dad's laptops.
With a $40 investment in SSD and a $5 investment in a SATA 2nd HDD caddy, I had fun showing them the difference:
I put the two identical laptops next to each other.
Identical images on both laptops.

One with SSD boots in and is ready to go in mere seconds.
A minute and a half later, the other identical Laptop with a mechanical drive is still grinding, finishing up it's boot up.
They were impressed. The difference in operational speed between the two is tremendous.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ld-recommend?p=7974509&viewfull=1#post7974509

Back