• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Performance Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EFR3SXZ

Hello guys,
I have questions.

Im looking for a full-performance settings for my PC. I'll use for game development (w/ VS and MonoGame) and Gaming. So after a clean install...

Specs: Win 10 x64, GPU 750M i7

1. Should I remove built-in features in windows 10?
  2. Is K-Lite Codecs realy necessary?
  3. What services can I disable that wont affect myself? (I won't use Xbox win10 platform)
  4. As a good computer user, I know what kind of risks I have. Is Windows Defender OK or I need AV and a Malware tool?
  5. MSConfig settings will help?
  6. Can I disable my Intel Graphics driver to set my GPU as default for my monitor or is there another way to do it? (I don't care about power usage).
  7. Is there a performance post with all information needed to perform a clean install and setup a new OS for the best settings performance ?

Welcome to the forums.

1. What built-in features? This is a personal decision and depends on the specific feature.

2. I would not until you come across a media file you cannot play and then I would only install a specific single codec to play it rather than K-Lite and similar multi-codec packs which have a history of messing with Windows.

3. Do not disable anything that you don't know exactly what it's doing. I know what this is so I disable it
Start > services.msc > Scroll down to both Diagnostics Tracking Service and dmwappushsvc and Stop, then set both of them to Disable
Leave most services alone though.

4. I use Comodo Firewall freeware so I can intercept apps sending info in /out of my system.
I Use Avira Antivir freeware which is extremely difficult to install properly but has better definitions that all other antivirus freeware programs and most other pay-for antivirus programs (in my experience).

5. Start > type in: msconfig
> Tools TAB > Click on Change UAC Settings > Launch > Slide down to Never notify > OK > Yes >
Boot TAB > Change Timeout if using a multi-boot > Apply > Advanced options... button > select number of processors you have > OK > Apply > Services TAB > Click on Service to Alphabetize the display order > Scroll down and UNCHECK: Shell Hardware Detection [it disables Scan and Fix USB Flash Drive nag] > OK > Apply > Restart

6. If you have an AMD/ATi or an nVidia video card, you should have drivers for them... Maybe you can clarify this question...

7. There are many many guides on this across the internet. I started making mine when I installed Windows 9x, and have been perfecting it ever since.
These should be highly personalized and should *never* be installed blindly. You should know exactly what modifications are doing, partition your hard drive and drive image your operating system partition frequently before applying unclear modifications. Most people would not use the majority of my modifications and I would not use the majority of theirs. But you can maybe cherry-pick one or two if you find any that you want to try from here:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-installation-How-(not)-to-install-Windows-10

and here are my guides for Comodo Firewall and Avira Antivir:

Comodo Firewall 8

https://forums.comodo.com/news-anno...version1511-hotfix-is-released-t113688.0.html

Double click on Setup.exe to install the program > OK > UNCHECK everything > STOP!!

** CLICK ON CUSTOMIZE INSTALLATION here. ** BEFORE CLICKING ON Next

UNCHECK: COMODO GeekBuddy
UNCHECK: COMODO Browser

> Back > Next > STOP!!

** UNCHECK everything **
Do not change DNS settings
Do not change search engine provider to Yahoo!

> Agree and Install

Comodo Firewall will immediately start behaving crazy-restrictive, immediately import any saved configurations if you have them:

Right click on the Comodo icon in the task bar > Open... > Tasks [upper right] > Advanced Tasks > Open Advanced Settings [lower right] > Configuration > Right click on empty white window > Import > Browse to previously saved configuration settings file > Open and wait and allow for it to be imported, then right click on the imported configuration > Activate > Yes > OK > OK

REBOOT.

Otherwise, ignore alerts and immediately start setting your custom configuration:

Right click on the Comodo icon in the task bar > Open... > Tasks [upper right] > Advanced Tasks [lower left] > Open Advanced Settings [lower right] >
General Settings [upper left of the Advanced Settings window] > User Interface >
UNCHECK: Show messages from COMODO Message Center
UNCHECK:*Show welcome screen on startup
UNCHECK: Show desktop widget
UNCHECK: Play sound when an alert is shown

Updates > UNCHECK everything

> Security Settings > File Rating > File Rating Settings > UNCHECK everything

> OK > REBOOT

To temporarily block ALL internet access: Right click on the Comodo icon in the task bar > Advanced View,
Now you can right click on the Comodo icon in the task bar > Firewall > Block All

To see the list of blocked programs:
Tasks > Advanced tasks > Open Advanced Settings > Security Settings > Firewall > Application Rules

Disabling Comodo right-click menu entries such as "Run in COMODO Sandbox":

Enter the following into Start Menu > Run... or Open DOS command box as Administrator and type the following:
regsvr32 /u "%ProgramFiles%\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cavshell.dll"

To restore it back into right-click menu, type the following:
regsvr32 "%ProgramFiles%\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cavshell.dll"

To temporarily allow everything to go through:

Tasks > Firewall Tasks > Open Advanced Settings > Application Rules >
Right click on empty gray area > Add > Browse > File Group > All Applications >
Copy From > Ruleset > Trusted Application > OK

Make sure the just crated All Applications rule is at the top and
*must* click on OK and have the Application Rules window disappear for this to actually take effect.

Completely remove this rule when finished.

Avira AntiVir Personal 15

Full version location is
http://personal.avira-update.com/package/wks_avira13/win32/en/pecl/avira_free_antivirus_en.exe

Double click on Setup.exe to install the program.

Click on Next, ignoring Avira's warnings to uninstall Comodo Firewall or similar programs which intercept phone-home attempts.

SELECT: Custom
UNCHECK: I want to improve my protection using Avira Protection Cloud
CHECK: I accept the End User License Agreement > Next > Next > STOP!!

!!! IMPORTANT !!! : UNCHECK: Windows Firewall
Otherwise Avira umbrella will integrate with Windows Firewall ON/OFF switch and will be closed even if you are using better third party Firewalls like Comodo Firewall instead of Windows Firewall.
In other words, if you don't UNCHECK: Windows Firewall, you will have to permanently keep Windows Firewall ON for Avira umbrella to be open, even if you use other, better firewalls.
After installation, C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\setup.exe controls adding/removing Avira options like Firewall.

CHECK: Confirm manually when sending suspicious files to Avira > Next > Next

Welcome to the Configuration Wizard > Next > Next > STOP!!

Allow the configuration wizard to keep the default Express Setup options. [Do NOT Select All.]
Once again: *DO NOT SELECT ALL* here.
(LEAVE UNCHECKED: Application, Games, Jokes, Programs that violate the private domain) > Next >

UNCHECK: Performs a quick systems scan after the installation > Next > Finish

Run program update, reboot if prompted. Wait for update to install.

UNINSTALL AVIRA ESSENTIALS after installation completes:
Right click on Start Button > Control Panel > Uninstall a program >
If there are two entries:
Avira
Avira Free Antivirus

Avira Essentials is the first entry called "Avira"
Uninstall "Avira" not "Avira Free Antivirus".
Ignore any error messages.

DO NOT ALLOW AVIRA TO UPDATE IMMEDIATELY AFTER UNINSTALLING THIS ENTRY or else Avira Essentials will trick you into reinstalling it.

Once again: DO NOT CLICK ON Accept and Update if prompted immediately after set up finishes. Click on X to close the window > Cancel? > Yes
[This is, again, because Avira may try to get you to reinstall Avira Essentials immediately after you uninstall Avira Essentials.]

Start Avira >
System Scanner (upper left) > Configuration (upper right) >

Always keep this UNCHECKED: Follow symbolic links (on right)

> System Scanner > Scan > Action on detection >
Set for Automatic, Primary action: Ignore [if you want to just scan folders and get a scan report without deleting files or being prompted what to do if virii/malware are found.]

> [bottom line under PC Protection] General > Security >
Disable being notified every time USB drive has an AUTORUN.INF file:
UNCHECK: Block autorun function
> General > Events > Select: Limit size to max. >
> General > Reports > Select: Limit number to max. >
> General > Warnings > UNCHECK Show notice if the virus definition file is out of date

> Apply > First click on OK then > Scheduler [on lower left] > UNCHECK everything.

Set Avira Free Antivirus to Always show in Windows Taskbar.

Also block this Avira messaging popup nag file from accessing the internet, using Comodo Firewall or similar software:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\ipmgui.exe
or
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\ipmgui.exe

To disable Notifier nag screen: Control Panel > View by Category > System and Security first > Administrative Tools [fourth from bottom] > Local Security Policy > Right click on Software Restriction Policies > New Software Restriction Policies SO THAT ADDITIONAL RULES SHOWS UP UNDERNEATH > Right click on Additional Rules > New Path Rule... > Browse... to the path of avnotify.exe default is
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe
or
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe

> OK > Set the security level to Disallowed > OK

For Windows Home or non-Professional versions, you must reboot into Safe Mode, log in as Administrator, then
go to
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe
and right click on it >
Properties > Security TAB >
[Under Group or usernames] SYSTEM > Edit button > CHECK: Deny for Read & execute > Apply > Yes > OK > OK

Make sure SYSTEM is set to Deny for Read & execute before rebooting.

[Security TAB will only show up on NTFS formatted drives, not FAT32 drives.]

To boot into Safe Mode: Start Menu > Run... > MSCONFIG > Boot TAB >
CHECK: Safe boot > OK
When you finish with Safe Mode, be sure to UNCHECK: Safe boot so you don't reboot into Safe Mode again.

To submit a suspected virus, go to
http://analysis.avira.com/samples/
to upload it.

You can scan multiple drives inside program options: Local Protection > Scanner > CHECK drives you wish to scan. The premium version also offers the option to scan multiple folders here. The free version does not.

Subscription to new virus definitions for this program is renewed automatically when you right click on Avira icon in the task bar > Start update

or download the latest key file from:
http://personal.avira-update.com/package/peclkey/win32/int/hbedv.key

and either copy it to
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop
and restart or go to Help > License management > click on the blue License file link > browse to the new downloaded hbedv.key > Open.

In case of error message:

The procedure entry point ?_Xbad@tr1@std@@YAX4error_type@regex_constants@12@@Z could not be located in the dynamic link library MSVCP90.dll

download and install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=a5c84275-3b97-4ab7-a40d-3802b2af5fc2

Manual updates can be downloaded from:
http://dl.antivir.de/down/vdf/ivdf_fusebundle_nt_en.zip
Unzip the downloaded file and copy all the contents to
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop

Using two Antivirus programs at the same time:
It is *not* a good idea to use two Antivirus programs at the same time, they will conflict with each other and most likely cause problems, unless you disable one of them from being active on the system.

Default log file location is
%PROGRAMDATA%\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\LOGFILES

%PROGRAMDATA% stands for
C:\ProgramData\

Last edited:
1. Not sure what features you are talking about, but I wouldn't. The gains you will get versus the effort and potential hassle are not worth it (to me).
2. Do you need the features the CODEC offers for how you use the PC or are the standard ones fine?
3. Again, this is something that, while you can do it, the benefits versus the effort, just are not there (to me). If you choose to still do so, here is a great guide: http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-10-service-configurations/
4. Depends on your browsing habits and who is using the PC. I only use Defender. I have for the past few years. Never had a virus. That said, I am cautious in what I open and click on, etc. If others are using it, I would say get something for sure.
5. Same as 1 and 3... That will just enable/disable boot items IIRC. Perhaps worth the time if you have the many programs you installed starting up...
6. You can. But if you have a discrete GPU, and nothing is plugged into the video outputs on your motherboard, it won't make a difference, it will use the discrete GPU.
7. Only install what you need is my suggestion. My method... Install Windows -> Install chipset drivers -> reboot -> Install ME drivers (on Intel) -> reboot -> Install Network driver -> -> Install GPU driver -> reboot -> Audio drivers (reboot if needed). After that it is all optional really.. USB drivers, etc.

For turning off SERVICES try blackviper.com. He's been posting info on services since WindowsXp days. Look for SITE UPDATES, and you'll see Win 10 services link in the list. When in doubt just do a search for the service in question on the Internet . There are many websites with information on tweaking Windows.

Familiarize yourself with RUN>REGEDIT(The Registry). You'll also be going in there for inaccessible tweaks through the UI. But don't go crazy in there as some changes made in there can disable Windows. Do a System Image backup before starting. If you're not sure how to do that, do a search.

My final advice is to search the Internet and do your research. You have many questions and I hope my advice will help with getting you started. There isn't one easy ON/OFF switch in tuning Windows.

Theres a fellow that has a YouTube video on all things a power user can toggle on or off for W10...his site is called Tech YES CITY.......I found it very helpful on what you may want to keep and a lot of stuff that is totally unnecessary; he goes through it step by step including Services settings along with what to toggle off in W10 and explains 'em one at a time so you can draw your own conclusions on what you want and don't want. Highly recommended viewing I say.

heres the link

1. Not sure what features you are talking about, but I wouldn't. The gains you will get versus the effort and potential hassle are not worth it (to me).

I would caveat just a little. Turning off "well behaved" services is probably not worth the effort involved BUT I have run in to more than a few that where consuming an inordinate amount of resources or causing stutter/hanging while browsing, graphics intensive apps (ok games) etc.

Use Task Manager to see what's consuming memory and processing cycles. Anything look excessive? If yes then might be worth tweaking.

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml is another handy tool for example to see latency and then check services (by disabling) to see if they have real world impact.

Slightly OT - disabling unneeded services on a Tablet is a must! I freed up 400mb of 2g ram which has a HUGE impact on tablet performance.

I've never had a default windows app exhibit such behavior. This just isn't worth it unless you are benchmarking. Even then, the difference is.that that much.

To each their own of course. :)

I would second that.
Disabling data sending service is one thing but I wouldn't disable actual Windows performance services.

Back