• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 random BSOD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sup3rcarrx8

I built a desktop for my friend and he's running into BSOD. I did all Windows 10 updates and made sure drivers are updated from Asus website but the BSOD still comes up randomly. Anything else I can test to resolve this for him? Specs are:

ASUS PRIME B250M-PLUS
Intel i5-7400
Team Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model TLGD416G3000HC16CDC01
Crucial M4 512GB SSD
Windows 10

2017-02-10.jpg

Are temperatures ok ? All settings default ? Barring bad install or virus it could be Windows trying to install its own set of drivers on top of the ASUS and failing badly as usual :(

Before testing memory, and blaming hardware, you may want to run this command in an elevated command prompt, Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth. My feeling it is not hardware related.

And then try to boot into Safe Mode.
After that, it may be time to disconnect all cards and drives and just bout into Safe Mode with a single stick of RAM and nothing else connected to the motherboard other than your CPU and your Windows drive.

The memory you bought exceeds the stated top end frequency the board can handle which is 2400 mhz. Now you can run the memory at slower speeds than 3200 but you may need to make manual adjustments to the timing and frequency. It will not run in XMP mode.

Attachments

• 2400.PNG
    2400.PNG
    275.7 KB · Views: 279
The memory you bought exceeds the stated top end frequency the board can handle which is 2400 mhz. Now you can run the memory at slower speeds than 3200 but you may need to make manual adjustments to the timing and frequency. It will not run in XMP mode.

The the frequency doesn't automatically downscale on these new motherboards? I recall just leaving it on auto in the BIOS

- - - Updated - - -

Before testing memory, and blaming hardware, you may want to run this command in an elevated command prompt, Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth. My feeling it is not hardware related.

I ran that command as one line in the CMD prompt and it looks successful?
Capture.JPG

The the frequency doesn't automatically downscale on these new motherboards? I recall just leaving it on auto in the BIOS

- - - Updated - - - It should but "Auto" doesn't always work like it should. I would set the memory frequency and voltage manually to make sure. I would also set the CPU core voltage manually and even add a little. 1.22 certainly won't hurt it.

I ran that command as one line in the CMD prompt and it looks successful?
View attachment 188196

Bringing up a somewhat old thread, my friend still got some BSOD to the point where Windows won't even load into safe mode etc. So I ended up doing a system restore about 2 weeks ago and now recently it's back to the state where it won't load windows at all. I attempted to do a systme restore point today but it wouldn't let me for some reason; it wouldn't let me select the C drive where the restore point was for some reason.

In the meantime, I'm running memtest86 also just in case it's bad RAM but doubt it since it's done 3 iterations already with 0 errors (or should I be looking at the Pass # which is still at 0)

edit: updated BIOS to the latest and double checked the RAM frequency at 2400mhz but still gives bsod below:
IMG_20170413_222236.jpg

Last edited:
a couple of questions.
have you done a clean install?
win10 likes to get corrupt very quickly, as few as three bsods can make it a real mess.
can you sit in bios for a long period of time trouble free?

In the meantime, I'm running memtest86 also just in case it's bad RAM but doubt it since it's done 3 iterations already with 0 errors (or should I be looking at the Pass # which is still at 0)

memtest should run at least 24 hours to be sure no errors are actually present

Error 0xc000001 is a file system error ie: the files system is corrupted.

boot from the repair disk and run chkdsk /r on the disk, this will read and fix errors in the file system

also run:

fixmbr

fixboot

restart and if that doesn't fix things then you will have to reinstall windows.

--------------------------

repeated BODS while running are usually hardware in this order of likelyhood:

new hardware installed recently
improperly seated memory/cards/cables
power supply
memory
video card
hard drives
mobo
cpu

Last edited:
Yes, I suspect memory or disk is corrupting files as well. I would run CrystaldiskInfo to check the SMART info.

Back