• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 update.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
I have one single machine out of 800 that will not... will not run windows updates.

The machine is Windows 10 64 bit. There are many like it but this one is mine. We use Bitdefender for AV.

Symptoms: Click on start, click on the gear for settings, click on the option to do windows updates. The main window shows up blank and after several minutes, it just closes the window entirely. Try to manually install the 1803 (or whatever it is) and it only gives you the option to install via data destruction.

Confounding issues: This machine has a ton of software on it that is difficult to install and configure. The user is working fine on the machine it's just that I don't want a machine that continues to fall behind on vetted and approved updates on our WSUS server.

Things done to date:
I've tried SFC /scannow
I checked the registry to ensure that the machine is pointed to out WSUS server.
I plan to run chkdsk /r but a co-worker sabotaged me on that today.
I ran a straight chkdsk and no errors were reported.
My network admin asked me to disable IP6 so I did that. No surprise that this didn't help.

Google has been of little help to me on this issue. I'm not finding any error message to follow, it just doesn't run. The services for BIT and Windows update are running and I've even restarted them for good measure.

I'm resigning myself to a complete rebuild of the machine but I'd realy rather not.

Bitdefender (internet security) has been known to lock the firewall from time to time and not letting Windows update properly, uninstalling temporarily usually fixes it.

If you figure out what stops W10 from updating, while retaining all functionality, do share that info. I have a thread for that stuff. :D

If you figure out what stops W10 from updating, while retaining all functionality, do share that info. I have a thread for that stuff. :D

you could just block the windows update servers from your network. host file would be a good place to do this on your local machine.

Yup. There are host files available for that. I've been meaning to ask a question about that. Can you download updates for W10 with something like WSUS and decide which ones you want to install while scrapping the rest?

Yup. There are host files available for that. I've been meaning to ask a question about that. Can you download updates for W10 with something like WSUS and decide which ones you want to install while scrapping the rest?

short answer yes.
long answer, probably needs its own thread and learning some windows server stuff.

Back