• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 11 Pro vs Windows Home- Gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

Which OS is better for gaming purposes? From the articles I read it seems Home is fine, and Pro is more for business applications (minus the larger amount of cores and dual CPU support)

There isn't going to be a difference really. Pro offers more things, but as Janus said, with today's systems... it won't make much of a difference. And, it's not like those things are all running/taking up resources.

There isn't going to be a difference really. Pro offers more things, but as Janus said, with today's systems... it won't make much of a difference. And, it's not like those things are all running/taking up resources.

EarthDog- thanks! You and Janus have always given me sound advice over the years!!

Pro has one good advantage. When you install a fresh OS, then you can still use a local user's account. Home version forces you to use MS account which links everything to that account.

Btw. I feel like URCDKey or other cheap key stores are not selling fully legal licenses. I mean you only get a key which can be activated and it's fine as it usually works and can be signed to your MS account. Then MS won't make problems. However they are using only keys available in multi-license business packs (infinite group activations), or specific Office licenses not available in retail. It suggests they buy multi-pack volume licenses from MS and sell keys separately. It's just impossible to sell MS keys legally for 10% of their official price.

Pro has one good advantage. When you install a fresh OS, then you can still use a local user's account. Home version forces you to use MS account which links everything to that account.

Btw. I feel like URCDKey or other cheap key stores are not selling fully legal licenses. I mean you only get a key which can be activated and it's fine as it usually works and can be signed to your MS account. Then MS won't make problems. However they are using only keys available in multi-license business packs (infinite group activations), or specific Office licenses not available in retail. It suggests they buy multi-pack volume licenses from MS and sell keys separately. It's just impossible to sell MS keys legally for 10% of their official price.
I agree with the reasoning for go with Pro. I have always gone Pro with my windows license over the years, just because of the overall completeness of "features" that come with it.

I was also tempted to go to URCDKey and snag a license for cheap, but my gut told me otherwise. I have heard rumors that websites of this nature could potentially be involved with the credit card fraud scene. Offering windows licenses so dang cheap just seems a bit fishy....

I have several computers with Windows 10 and 11. None of them were set up with a Microsoft account.

I set up two virtual computers last week. One with Windows 11 Home and the other with Windows 11 Pro. Both were set up with local accounts only.

I bought the ASUS laptop with Windows 11 Home I am typing this post on three months ago. During the final setup it wanted me to logon or create a Microsoft account. I bypassed that and created a local account instead.

Currently Windows 11 during setup forces you to be connected to the Internet. No problem. When it asks me to login or create a Microsoft account I just fake it. I just try to login with made up account information. When that gives an error it gives up and lets me create a local account instead. For example I used this to try to login:
Username: username
Password: password

I have several products I bought from VIP-URCDKey. I had no problems installing or activating any of them.

I agree that none of these are the usual retail products. They may be OEM, MSDN, or something similar. They have all been openly sold online for several years now. Microsoft has made no effort to stop their sales. Some sellers are more reputable than others so it better to stick with one you can trust.

BTW, I suspect if a seller gets too greedy and tries to sell the same key too many times it will trigger the Microsoft activation servers. This will cause the key to be flagged and rejected from then on.

I been poking into running Samba as Active Directory Domain Controller on Debian Raspberry PI and also
developing up the application on a Debian based Linux box PC
I goal is to gain some higher level multi machine administrative control.

Its a back burnered project recently

Ive run Windows installations with a Windows account login since OS 8.1.
Ive honestly found little to no detrimental effects of having the Windows account login.
Microsoft provides some very basic admin services with the account.
Creating local accounts are still an option.
Subscriptions and Store purchases translate across installations.

Of course all the old school performance problems still persist.
I also find a Cloud service such as Microsoft offered "OneDrive" can congest the network. More specifically initial syncing or when OneDrive isnt setup correctly

I could care less about the morality of "cheating" multi-billion dollar corporations out of an extra forty or fifty bucks... especially when that corporation is named MICROSOFT. (They've already got their money from me over the years.)

As far as "legality" goes... You're buying what's, essentially, a single-activation key online. Microsoft is accepting the key, and if it's saved to your account, Microsoft is verifying that you're the owner of the license. That meets pretty much every definition of "legal."

Even if these sites (and, to be clear, these sites don't actually sell keys... it's just a marketplace for other people to sell keys on these sites) are splitting up multi-volume licenses... even THAT would not be "illegal". It would only be a violation of Microsoft's TOS... (which... if they're not enforcing, since they could easily tell if a license came from a multi-pack or not... is kinda their fault).

I'd be much more concerned about the credit card theft angle...

Which leads us to... this is all theoretical internet gossip and I don't actually believe ANY of it.

Corporate apologists and internet crackpots just trying to make up excuses for how these sites can sell things so cheaply when the companies themselves charge so much (unless there's a sale... which kinda proves they don't HAVE to sell them for so much). Another hole in the theory is that these sites also sell heavily discounted games which absolutely do NOT have any kind of multi-volume business license structure.

No... Far more likely is that people are simply buying the licenses wholesale like any store would do, but selling them far cheaper than the suggested retail price and making their profit off of volume instead of markup.

As an example of this... if you go on Good Morning America's website... (or whatever network show you can think of) a LOT of them have started to sell Office 360 licenses.

I guess they discovered it's actually not a bad idea.

I could care less about the morality of "cheating" multi-billion dollar corporations out of an extra forty or fifty bucks... especially when that corporation is named MICROSOFT. (They've already got their money from me over the years.)
I don't care much about that too.
As far as "legality" goes... You're buying what's, essentially, a single-activation key online. Microsoft is accepting the key, and if it's saved to your account, Microsoft is verifying that you're the owner of the license. That meets pretty much every definition of "legal."
Seems clear... but problems will start when the license will be locked on the MS servers, and you ask MS support for help. Then they will ask you for the invoice, even though the key is registered on your MS account, and if the seller is not a registered partner then good luck fighting with them for your "legal" license and a new product key.
Even if these sites (and, to be clear, these sites don't actually sell keys... it's just a marketplace for other people to sell keys on these sites) are splitting up multi-volume licenses... even THAT would not be "illegal". It would only be a violation of Microsoft's TOS... (which... if they're not enforcing, since they could easily tell if a license came from a multi-pack or not... is kinda their fault).

I'd be much more concerned about the credit card theft angle...

Which leads us to... this is all theoretical internet gossip and I don't actually believe ANY of it.

Corporate apologists and internet crackpots just trying to make up excuses for how these sites can sell things so cheaply when the companies themselves charge so much (unless there's a sale... which kinda proves they don't HAVE to sell them for so much). Another hole in the theory is that these sites also sell heavily discounted games which absolutely do NOT have any kind of multi-volume business license structure.

No... Far more likely is that people are simply buying the licenses wholesale like any store would do, but selling them far cheaper than the suggested retail price and making their profit off of volume instead of markup.

As an example of this... if you go on Good Morning America's website... (or whatever network show you can think of) a LOT of them have started to sell Office 360 licenses.

I guess they discovered it's actually not a bad idea.
They are selling mainly MSDN volume licenses (read as business lecenses available only to registered companies) as a single licenses. Business licenses are impossible to be purchased in retail. I work in this stuff for nearly 20 years, including MS license sales, so I know in what prices can be bought MS licenses. When there is a promo price for boxed Office license, then the store gets about 20-25%. Typically it's ~10%.
What I said in this thread is nothing from the web. I just noticed that something isn't right and said that you can expect problems in the future. It doesn't mean it will happen and I also said, I have a license from a "cheap key store" too, so I'm aware of the possible problems. In the worst case, the price I paid was low enough that I can live with that, even if the license will be locked in some time.

Office 365 is something different. It's impossible to be purchased from an illegal source as every key is going through MS sales and activation department and is signed to your account. The exception are O365 cards that you can buy in stores. It still has to be activated and signed to your MS account.
Cheap key stores are not selling O365 licenses. They are selling the whole accounts with already activated O365 and you can't change user's ID. They send you ID and password so you can change it after the purchase.
Read the product description and tell me it's not fishy -> "Please change the PW once you get it. Please remember you can't change the ID of the account."
Products that are not subscriptions are activated in the old way, and have different activation rules.

I don't care much about that too.

Seems clear... but problems will start when the license will be locked on the MS servers, and you ask MS support for help. Then they will ask you for the invoice, even though the key is registered on your MS account, and if the seller is not a registered partner then good luck fighting with them for your "legal" license and a new product key.

They are selling mainly MSDN volume licenses (read as business lecenses available only to registered companies) as a single licenses. Business licenses are impossible to be purchased in retail. I work in this stuff for nearly 20 years, including MS license sales, so I know in what prices can be bought MS licenses. When there is a promo price for boxed Office license, then the store gets about 20-25%. Typically it's ~10%.
What I said in this thread is nothing from the web. I just noticed that something isn't right and said that you can expect problems in the future. It doesn't mean it will happen and I also said, I have a license from a "cheap key store" too, so I'm aware of the possible problems. In the worst case, the price I paid was low enough that I can live with that, even if the license will be locked in some time.

Office 365 is something different. It's impossible to be purchased from an illegal source as every key is going through MS sales and activation department and is signed to your account. The exception are O365 cards that you can buy in stores. It still has to be activated and signed to your MS account.
Cheap key stores are not selling O365 licenses. They are selling the whole accounts with already activated O365 and you can't change user's ID. They send you ID and password so you can change it after the purchase.
Read the product description and tell me it's not fishy -> "Please change the PW once you get it. Please remember you can't change the ID of the account."
Products that are not subscriptions are activated in the old way, and have different activation rules.

You're right about office. What they're selling on the shows is lifetime subscriptions:

Literally EVERYONE is selling these. I think even Montell Williams is selling these? (Is he dead? Then he's selling them from the grave!)

And here's MarketWatch https://www.marketwatch.com/picks/d...soft-office-2021-for-less-than-50-01649086445

Then there was some show I REALLY hated... can't remember them... probably destroyed that computer in a fit of rage...

Back