• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 11 won't install..."unsupported processor"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
In starting a W11 install on my new rig with the Intel Core i5-11400F - Core i5 11th Gen Rocket Lake 6-Core the installation stalls out with the "unsupported processor" message. That's it, we're done, no alternatives it seems. I thought W11 was good with anything newer than 7th Gen....what gives?

That processor is definitely supported... mame sure tpm is enabled in the bios. Make sure your bios is updated to the latest and greatest also.

Flashed BIOS to latest version. Finally found the TPM setting buried, set to "enabled" and booted into the W10 install I did since W11 failed. Checked ->
Code:
Windows key + R keyboard shortcut, type the tpm.msc
and shows TPM enabled. Booted to Win 11 installer, got message that "This PC can't run Windows 11". <sigh>

Not a deal breaker, I just thought that a Windows dual boot(with Ubuntu) would be handy for my video editing plans, but the existing W10 install is wonky, won't accept any Nvidia driver...or rather, the Nvidia installer says that it can't install on this version of Windows....what???

Last edited:
Probably there are no available updates for your PC (installer is somehow connected with Windows Update and system check which your PC probably failed), or something is wrong with the Win10 installation (missing files or some other issues). It's weird but happens. It for sure works when you run a clean install from a flash drive.

It says "Your PC's soul belongs to us" :rofl:
Yea, but it don't know me very well, I shall prevail. :attn:

I revisited the Win 10 install idea, used the media creation tool to make a W10 installer, rather than using the dd command or unetbootin in Linux. The install was quick and smooth, everything including the Nvidia 472.x driver and the problematic network and audio drivers was fully there and functional. I'm impressed. I hate to mess with this W10 install, but since the future is with W11 I might as well get started.

Update: I attempted the Win 11 install once again, using the USB installer made with the Win 11 media creation tool. Booting to the media ran into a rather odd situation:

1.jpg

It's unclear what this means, the installer IS on a USB stick, and it booted so how could there be a "driver" missing? So I rebooted and logged into the Win 10 install, and started the install once again, in the OS environment. After about 1/2 hour of seeing this:

2.jpg

Installation fails:

3.jpg

Well, looks like I'm done, I think it must be 5 o'clock somewhere! :soda:

Back