• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 3.1.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

Guys I have windows 3.1.1 right here on floppy disk. Think it could run on a athlon system? hehe. i'm assuming the dual processors are already out of the question.

I think it would work ... my only question is why ? It's about 10 years old, and not much software is compatible with it ... I have it on one of my comps, but only cuz the comp is too slow for something else (and cuz I'm too lazy to change it ;))

I'd be willing to bet that it would run it just fine. Since Win 3.11 software is pretty rare nowdays, you'd need good DOS software instead. Hmmm... Doom @ 2200+... :D

JigPu

i would be skeptical about it working... i mean, i don't think you can get much video support or for any other hardware you have installed... i don't know if win3.11 could understand that there is an agp slot :)

i'd love to see a win3.1 system up and running though :)

It would work, but you need DOS as well, windows 3.11 doesn't sit on its own, like Win9x... you installed and ran windows 3.11 under dos, if that makes any sense.

Hence, you need your computer to be running dos 5.0 or above, and only then can you install windows.

BTW, windows 3.11 will just sit a 640x480x16 colours unless you give it better drivers, which i very much DOUBT that you will find!

i could try to just run everything on software acceleration. i'm sure my 2200+ could do ok :)

I have a 200Mhz Packard Bell running Windows 3.11. Everything is integrated on the packard bell, so found the video chip, wrote down the chipset and google'd for Win3.1 Drivers. 800x600x16 is the max Win3.11 will do. It worked fine, I used my 56k modem and surfed the web, chatted on IRC, there's even a version of AIM for win3.1 (16bit).
Let me know if you need any links to mouse drivers or anything. I have a few links that were helpful to me.
-TheComputerGuy23

Better video drivers and ISA cards that have more than 1Mb of memory.

Then I could get a decent 16bit screen resoulution instead of that funky 8bit I got now on my 486.

Win3.1 could do 1280x1024 I think, give it some real drivers and it will work. (by real, I mean from the company that made your video card). My 486 supports 1280x1024, though the monitor on it only works till 1024x768.

Until X-mas this year my mom was running Windows 3.11 and DOS 6.2 on a P-III 1 Gigabyte computer. Except for having to use a PCI based video card all was well.

Blueacid said:
It would work, but you need DOS as well, windows 3.11 doesn't sit on its own, like Win9x... you installed and ran windows 3.11 under dos, if that makes any sense.

Hence, you need your computer to be running dos 5.0 or above, and only then can you install windows.

BTW, windows 3.11 will just sit a 640x480x16 colours unless you give it better drivers, which i very much DOUBT that you will find!

That depends on the drivers and video card. I ran 1024 x 768 on an ATI All-in-Wonder first edition (whopping 8 Megs of video ram) in 65,000 colors with no sweat on my mom's rig.

Back