• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7: 64 and 32 bit on separate DVD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aznsound

i have a free version of Windows 7. free because it was an upgrade for a Vista Toshiba laptop that i bought. i chose to install it on a different computer though. on the Toshiba OEM DVD, it says that on this one DVD, both 32 and 64 bit versions are in it. looking at reviews online, it seems the retail version has one disc for each version. i was just curious why that is. i know with Vista, both versions are also on just one DVD.

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
The DVD that came with your laptop is probably not a "real" installer disc. It likely simply has compressed images of a stock install of each version that it extracts to your drive.

OP
A

aznsound

hi, i've thought about that initially, but i clean installed this from scratch on my desktop and it looks just like a stock Windows 7 without any of the Toshiba pre installed software. if they're gonna image it, i would think they would have imaged everything.

when i installed it, a splash screen with instructions told me to download the installer from Toshiba first. i skipped that and browsed and ran the Windows 7 installer directly from the DVD.

Randyman...

All OEM Install Discs only have 1 version on the disc AFAIK (32 OR 64). Retail Install Discs (and I believe upgrade media as well) will include 32 and 64 discs.

That's the one drawback of saving cash with OEM versions...

:cool:

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
The DVD that came with your laptop is probably not a "real" installer disc. It likely simply has compressed images of a stock install of each version that it extracts to your drive.

No.. they both come on the same disc uncompressed.

A 'single' version aka 32bit only or 64bit only (like an oem) will be about a 3-4gb disc (if you say, do like i like to do, and rip it to use vlite to slipstream updates into it).

a full retail disc is closer to a 6gb image holding both the 32bit and 64bit versions on it.