• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 and windows 10 loading problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blueknight1960

Registered
When I built my system about a year ago, I put windows 7 on it. No problems. About 4 months after I got windows 10. I put 7 on one ssd and 10 on another, haven't had any problems what so ever and when I started the computer,I had the choice of windows 7 or 10. Then a little over a week ago I downloaded a movie (so I thought) but turned out to be a virus. I reformatted the windows 7 ssd,got rid of the virus and this is where everything went south. After Loading up 7 again,windows 10 on the other ssd wouldn't load and 7 was having problems also. So,I disconnected the windows 10 ssd and had to reload windows 7 because it just wasn't acting right. Well everything was going fine until I decided to reformat the windows 10 ssd and reload 10. Things were going fine until I downloaded the video drivers (nvidia) and windows 10 crashed which for some reason also messed up windows 7 (Remember both os's are on 2 separate drives). So I got the bright idea to completely redo both drives from scratch. Both drives were reformatted and I loaded up windows 7, so good so far. I went a couple days with just 7 and got it back to where I wanted it. I've reformatted the other ssd,then disconnected the windows 7 ssd, I loaded up windows 10,got all the drivers loaded,no problem. Once again so I thought. The problem now is,in order for me to choose which os I want to use, I either just start the computer and it goes straight to 7 or I have to go into the bios to choose the ssd which has 10 and I have no idea how to fix that (both os's are working at this time). Any help would be appreciated.

The issue you ran into is that your MBR is saved on the Windows 7 disk and then when you disconnected that disk and installed Windows 10 it has its own MBR. I believe the solution for this is using something like EasyBCD that will allow you to create a new boot file to select the two installs. I know c6 does this with about a half dozen different operating systems. But generally you want to have Win7 installed, then install Win10 with Win7 still there so that it can see it and add it to the MBR. If you aren't far into your Win10 install you could just format and reinstall Win10 and telling it to install on the second drive it should make note of the Win7 install and you will have your options available to you at boot.

Thanks for the help, but EasyBCD didn't work. But what did work and I can't explain it, I loaded into windows 10,opened msconfig and made windows 7 the default os and it is the same in windows 7 where 7 is the default. Now I have the choice again which os I want.

Back