• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 Copy/paste issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time-Bandit

Hi guys,

I am having problems with copying and pasting on my machine.

I have had two issues happen.

1) Creating a folder inside another folder to place videos Movies > Name of movie > movie 1 when I movie files into "Name of movie" suddenly the "name of movie folder" vanishes and the movie file just goes into "Movies". I noticed I no longer had the function to create a new folder inside "Movies folder" yet on the rest of my desktop the option was still there.

2) This time I am moving Movies from desktop to another drive file structure goes Movies> movie 1> movie.avi. Movies> movie 2 > movie2.avi
what its doing when I movie the entire Movies folder to another drive is it just recreates each folder inside one another. Movies > Movie 1> movies2 > movies 3.

I have no idea what is causing this issue hopefully someone has an idea what is happening, its not anti virus related as I have turned these off to test. HDD/SSDs seem to all be in working order.

Cheers,

Bandit

Last edited:
It's the way you're naming your files.

The above is an just an example.
The folder called "Done" doesn't show in the folder when I first go into it, but when I click into the address bar and add / it then shows the folder exists so I go into the folder then go back a folder and its showing like it should normally.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I'm wondering if it has something to do with how Windows deals with libraries. Some standard Windows folders are classified as libraries.

Not sure this addresses your issue or not: https://lifehacker.com/get-to-know-windows-7-libraries-inside-and-out-5464350

I had a look over the folders that are in my imgur picture some folders are indexed in the library but most are not. Everything in these folders was working fine a couple of months ago but they are doing this now. Not sure if there was some Win7 update that has caused this or not.

If you are staying with Windows 7 for awhile I would back up your data and do a clean install. Something sounds broken with your system files to me. Have you tried running sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt? And have you checked the hard drive health with say, Crystaldiskinfo?

I also wonder if you shouldn't run chkdsk /f /r from an elevated command prompt. Something is broken in Windows 7.

If you are staying with Windows 7 for awhile I would back up your data and do a clean install. Something sounds broken with your system files to me. Have you tried running sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt? And have you checked the hard drive health with say, Crystaldiskinfo?

I also wonder if you shouldn't run chkdsk /f /r from an elevated command prompt. Something is broken in Windows 7.

Hey, yeah chkdsk came up with nothing either.

Had a look around on the internet, I think it might be something to do with the wifi adapter I am using. Kind of sad since I got it for the 5ghz connection not sure how exactly it effects the system but it makes copy/pasting a pain in the ***, have also noticed basically the same issue when I record with fraps. Normally when I hit F9 the file being created will pop into the folder now and then I have to hit F5 to refresh to check its actually started recording (paranoid about my records since I have had some that didn't record at all or started recording and terminated for god knows what reason).

I have not tested it yet, but it may be correct.

I was using an el cheapo wifi adapter via USB and purchased a different one that has 5Ghz, since I have added that to the system a couple of folders have been acting odd otherwise everything is working as intended.

Back