• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Windows 7 doesn't see my storage drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's how I cleaned it. A 120 GB SSD takes no time at all. Is there a reason the main partition of the OS drive isn't marked as 'active' in Disk Management? Although I can't imagine that has anything to do with the BIOS' wonkiness. LOL

Im pretty sure a partition must be active to boot from it, but perhaps others will be able to confirm

That was my initial thought, and it was active before I installed W10 on the other drive. So I'm left to assume W10 sabotaged my W7 install so that it wouldn't boot. I have to go through BIOS shenanigans to select the W7 drive from the boot override menu. I thought I disliked W10 before, but it's really starting to **** me off now. :mad:

- - - Updated - - -

So. Do I have to make an image file of my current OS, store it on my now visible HDD, reformat my boot drive, and reinstall the image file on it??? This is insane.

edit: The boot partition is Active.

Last edited:
So. Do I have to make an image file of my current OS, store it on my now visible HDD, reformat my boot drive, and reinstall the image file on it??? This is insane.

https://neosmart.net/wiki/set-partition-as-active/ says that you can make a partition active from within disk management

You mean the partition was active and was having the issue you described, or you changed it to active and still have the issue? If worse comes to worse, nuke the drive and then have a look at http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds . I have been sucessfully using these optimizations through a few installs. Sometimes I dont bother, but frankly they make sense.

That was my initial thought, and it was active before I installed W10 on the other drive. So I'm left to assume W10 sabotaged my W7 install so that it wouldn't boot. I have to go through BIOS shenanigans to select the W7 drive from the boot override menu. I thought I disliked W10 before, but it's really starting to **** me off now. :mad:

- - - Updated - - -

It may not be a W10 thing.
Are you on a Kaby Lake ready bios? They are flawed. Shows all the same symptoms as what you just went through with your drives.

Everything worked fine until the Missing HDD Of '16 event. I finally got that straightened out and even cleared and reformatted the W10 drive I used to fix it. And I rolled back my BIOS to the previous version to fix yet another issue (successfully). I'm at a loss to explain it. It seems I need to break B to fix A which requires redoing C which fixes B but breaks A again. I'm getting dizzy.

Marked it as active. I'll see what happens at next boot.

Update: I just found out that when my rig was cold booted this morning (Not by me) it booted straight in to W7 without the BIOS dance. So apparently it just doesn't like me and that's that. I'm declaring all my problems (computer-wise, anyway) solved. I'm not even going to scratch my head any more. I'll pretend I'm a genius and pat myself on the beck and just be insufferable about it. Yeah, maybe not. LOL. Thanks to all for your help in keeping the remains of my sanity. :0

Last edited:
Not so fast...Woke up this morning and my OS was.....GONE. Recovery disk couldn't find an OS. Couldn't get to my Acronis image, either. Soooo, I reinstalled W7 and checked my storage drive for the Acronis back up and can't find it anywhere. I'm installing graphics drivers so I can see the whole window and reinstalled Acronis. I'm hoping Acronis can find the previous back up and just dump the image file on the drive. Anybody want to buy a computer? Somebody gave me a tablet so I may just stick with that. LMAO

Necro post! Going back through this thread I discovered I didn't share the final resolution. Here goes:

Reflashed the BIOS (a couple times/different BIOS) and that seemed to do the trick. I now have a dual boot system (W7 & W10) and the boot menu pops up when I cold start or restart the rig. W7 is the default OS and it will boot into that OS if I ignore the boot menu for 30 seconds. 4 TB HDD is visible and accessible from either OS. My current BIOS is F21.

Back