• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 driver for ti-4200?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magnummafia

i have a p4 system with a ti-4200. works great, but i want to go dual monitors but i don't have the option to extend to the 2nd. only mirrored. is there a driver i can get to use this full featured?

thanks

Old Thrashbarg

The 81.98 XP drivers work in Vista 32bit, so they may work on 7 as well. You're still probably not going to get full features, and Aero is definitely out, but you might at least be able to extend the desktop.

The better option, though, is just to look for a newer card. Any DX9 card should work fine, that would include the Radeon 9500 or above, or any Nvidia FX series or newer. You can surely find something suitable for $10-20 either in the classifieds here or on eBay, and IMO it'd be worth that much just to avoid the hassles with the GF4. I mean, it's a good card, but it's just not a Vista/7 card.

doublejack

+1 on the advice to upgrade. I still use a ti4600 in one machine, and my brother still uses a ti4200 in his only PC. However, both of those are used under XP. For Vista or Windows 7, you will do well to use something more current, even if it isn't more powerful.

renegade44

Old Thrashbarg

You need a GPU that is supported by WDDM 1.0 That didn't start until Geforce 6XXX

You don't absolutely need it. The Geforce FX series and the Radeon 9 series (except for the couple of DX8.1 black sheep like the 9000 and 9200/9250) work just fine in 7.

Still, though, considering that you can get Geforce 6-series cards cheap enough nowadays, it would make sense just to go with the newer cards anyhow.