• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 Home, Pro, Ultimate, 32-bit, 64-bit - what to pick?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baris_

Hello,

I'm upgrading my rig by a lot at the moment, and I was also thinking of going windows 7. Now I don't know which version to buy. I prefer to go 64-bit so I can address much more RAM to my rig in the future, but I read that not all CPU's support this? I have a Q9550, does that support a 64-bit OS? If not, then I won't buy windows 7 until I get one of the new intel chips like a gulftown or an i7. Which will be in 1 or 2 years.

If that is behind us, then what version do I go for? I just started studying computer science so I will be doing a lot of coding and such. I need to be safe that for instance, home edition, can provide me with support on software I need to use for university. Furthermore I like to watch 1080p films on my full hd tv and lots of gaming. I play competitive Counter-Strike: Source and beside that I want to play lots of games with beautiful and demanding settings. Such as Crysis or new DX10/11 games.

I don't really do much else beside that. I hope this has been enough information for you to judge what I need. If not, post it :)

Thanks in advance.

Yup yer compatible with x64. I would choose...and did choose home premium x64 OEM. OEM just cuz I'm cheap and saved some money. Professional & Ultimate don't add enough to justify their cost premiums imo.

Yup yer compatible with x64. I would choose...and did choose home premium x64 OEM. OEM just cuz I'm cheap and saved some money. Professional & Ultimate don't add enough to justify their cost premiums imo.

If you or anyone know has a valid .edu email address, you can get Windows 7 Pro x64 for 64.99 at theultimatesteal.com. Really can't go wrong with that.

Thank you all for your replies.

I'd go with Windows 7 64 bit professional. It's cheaper than ultimate but still has windows xp mode.

EDIT: And yes the Q9550 supports 64 bit OS.

Could you explain something to me here, windows xp mode?

1. What is that?
2. What do I do with XP when I have windows 7?
3. Why would I need it?

Thanks all :)

Windows xp mode just allows you to run xp programs that may have compatibility problems with windows seven. A LOT of old school games have that problem.

Oh that's definitly good to know. Home edition is out of the question then.

If you or anyone know has a valid .edu email address, you can get Windows 7 Pro x64 for 64.99 at theultimatesteal.com. Really can't go wrong with that.

Very cool, Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

After experiencing win 7 64 on my newest laptop I can't wait to bump my main desktop up from vista 64.

Thank you all for your replies.

Could you explain something to me here, windows xp mode?

1. What is that?
2. What do I do with XP when I have windows 7?
3. Why would I need it?

Thanks all :)

XP Mode is nothing special it's a very simple virtual machine, certainly nothing to hinge a decision on. There are many superior virtual machine proggies out there, many free that do exactly the same thing, with more features, and with many different OSs. Your CPU has the x64 extensions, but it also has vanderpool technology to expedite virtual machines, which are very very cool.

XP Mode is nothing special it's a very simple virtual machine, certainly nothing to hinge a decision on. There are many superior virtual machine proggies out there, many free that do exactly the same thing, with more features, and with many different OSs. Your CPU has the x64 extensions, but it also has vanderpool technology to expedite virtual machines, which are very very cool.

Hmm, I like to have as little applications on my PC as possible though.

Last edited:
Hey folks whats up with the OPK (OEM Preinstallation kit) requirement on the copy of Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit I just bought from the egg?

Is that something that's going to effect me ?

I am using this for a friends HP that they hosed...I am installing it on a fresh HD.

I if you have less than 4gigs get the 32bit

32 bit will only read 3.XXgig of ram

If you have 4gigs or more get 64bit

Yeah, I got that far :p Well, I think then if I count the future in 64 bit will be the best choice.

Hey folks whats up with the OPK (OEM Preinstallation kit) requirement on the copy of Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit I just bought from the egg?

Is that something that's going to effect me ?

I am using this for a friends HP that they hosed...I am installing it on a fresh HD.

Where does it say that?

Ive never seen any mentioned of requirements for something like that on OEM discs that Ive gotten.

And personally if I had to buy one id go with Windows 7 Pro x64, at this point in time there is no reason to go with a 32bit OS, it just limits your hardware too much IMO.

Back