• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 Home, Pro, Ultimate, 32-bit, 64-bit - what to pick?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmm, I like to have as little applications on my PC as possible though.

XP mode is still an application. Two separate downloads in fact. Worked fine for me, but I've never really needed it. Even utilities work under 7 now...least all the respectable ones. Not much of a gamer though, myself, so I got steam working perfectly under 7, the few other games I ever play also work. For myself I have no use for XP anymore so "XP Mode" is no incentive, I find it kinda annoying that MS made it only work on the more expensive Win7 pro, when it would work fine on home premium...if they'd let it work. As a result I'd not pay their artificially instituted premium as a matter of principle, but that's just me and I'm a stubborn old dood. :)

Even if you don't have 4GB of RAM, there's really no reason not to go 64-bit.

there are a few reasons....

1. Driver support. Unless it is WHQL signed.... no chance in heck. Also, many hardware manufacturers do NOT have 64bit drivers for their hardware. So making sure that your hardware is supported is a big factor.

2. A lot of software isn't 64bit compatible. You have to make sure the software you bought/own/use will work in a 64bit environment.

3. 64bit isn't really any better than 32bit with the exception of 1 thing: Ability of the OS to Address more than 4gigs of ram.

So in a nutshell, driver support often is still iffy, software support is coming along, but not always there, and unless you have a lot of RAM that you plan on fully taking advantage of, there is no reason to go with 64bit.

Just got a copy of win7 pro 64 for the desktop for the low low price of $78.86 (price includes the $13 charge for them to mail me a disk with it as well as tax) with the microsoft student discount deal. Got my cd-key instantly! cant wait to get home from work and do the install :D

there are a few reasons....

1. Driver support. Unless it is WHQL signed.... no chance in heck. Also, many hardware manufacturers do NOT have 64bit drivers for their hardware. So making sure that your hardware is supported is a big factor.

2. A lot of software isn't 64bit compatible. You have to make sure the software you bought/own/use will work in a 64bit environment.

3. 64bit isn't really any better than 32bit with the exception of 1 thing: Ability of the OS to Address more than 4gigs of ram.

So in a nutshell, driver support often is still iffy, software support is coming along, but not always there, and unless you have a lot of RAM that you plan on fully taking advantage of, there is no reason to go with 64bit.

Although my experiences with driver compatability have been limited, I have yet to run into any driver issues. Just because the OS is 64bit doesnt mean it wont run 32bit applications. All of my software runs fine, and has run fine since Vista HP x64.

Its gotten so good that OEMs are starting to ship computers with x64 standard.

Back