• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7: Issues with folder permissions over network

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[email protected]

Inactive Moderator
Alright, so I store pretty much everything on my file-server over a gigabit network. The file-server runs XP Pro 32-bit as I don't need anything crazy.

The first attachment below is the error I get when trying to rename a folder, and the second attachment is when I try to delete a folder. The only way around this is to log onto my file-server (which I do with RDP), go to Computer Management, Sessions, and then kick myself off... then I can make the adjustments at the file-server itself; otherwise, I'll sometimes have an issue on the file-server as well. The file-server has its storage partition shared over the network, and my main machine (the client) has it mapped as one of the administrator's logins. I have full access to folder permissions.

I manage my rebate documents from my main machine but they are located on the file server. Ever since I've had Windows 7 RC Ultimate 64-bit, I've had this issue. Now I'm on an OFFICIAL Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and thought that my original problem was because I was using the RC... and still I get the same issue. Before Windows 7, I used XP Pro 32-bit and NEVER had this issue.

Again, this issue started ever since I've been using Windows 7 on my main machine. When I had XP, I never had this issue. The file-server ALWAYS and still does use XP Pro 32-bit.

Any ideas? According to the second attachment about "Thumbs", I have a feeling that is the culprit, but I still don't understand why the issue started only since I've installed Windows 7 on my client machine.

P.S. If I wait a few minutes, everything works fine... just checked.

Attachments

• Renaming_Issue.png
    Renaming_Issue.png
    40.1 KB · Views: 3,740
  • Deleting_Issue.png
    Deleting_Issue.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 3,720

jivetrky

Do you have this folder (or it's parent) set to a library on your PC? I had this issue because I had the folder set in a library. so I guess it was indexing the files/folders that I was trying to change and it would give that error. As soon as I removed it from the library, it was fine. I know that isn't a fix, but maybe it is at least an idea of the possible problem :thup:

OP
g0dM@n

[email protected]

Inactive Moderator
Do you have this folder (or it's parent) set to a library on your PC? I had this issue because I had the folder set in a library. so I guess it was indexing the files/folders that I was trying to change and it would give that error. As soon as I removed it from the library, it was fine. I know that isn't a fix, but maybe it is at least an idea of the possible problem :thup:

A library with what, like WMP? I don't think it's in one...

chawks2

I guess it was indexing the files/folders that I was trying to change and it would give that error. As soon as I removed it from the library, it was fine.

Why not just disable/stop the indexing service period? Love the hafa literature above BTW ^^^

chawks2

I like having instant search and I use it very often, so I don't think I'd like turning off indexing.

Libraries are interesting, but I'm sorry the whole concept of indexing defeats the purpose of searching. Isnt the point of searching to find things? It's like knowing the position of a needle in a haystack, fail to see the MS way on this one AND if you need to search for content you have to flag settings to allow the searching of content within the file?

Who comes up with this?! D-U-M!

EDIT Sorry for the thread tangent.

OP
g0dM@n

[email protected]

Inactive Moderator
I gotta be honest, I like the indexing and search feature... so I don't want to turn it off.

OP
g0dM@n

[email protected]

Inactive Moderator
Alright so I was testing something out and wanted to try to make my network MUSIC FOLDER available offline... in the middle of doing this, I decided to cancel b/c I realized it was just going to make a copy on my OS drive (which are 2x30GB SSDs so I have limited space on them). After canceling, I received errors.

I then when to that network folder (which no longer showed the offline icon on the folder), and looked inside. 3 of 10 subfolders still had the offline available (sync) icons on them. I right-clicked and tried to un-click the "available offline" option and then go the errors you see below.

Apparently, I still have issues with permissions of files over my network. As I stated earlier in this thread, I NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM WHEN I USED XP ON THIS MACHINE. By "this machine" I mean the client machine. The server/HTPC with the shared files has always been Windows XP Pro and hasn't been formatted since...

Any ideas still? I don't know what to try, but I have to find a solution as I still have my original problem.

Attachments

• sync_errors.png
    sync_errors.png
    139 KB · Views: 3,629
OP
g0dM@n

[email protected]

Inactive Moderator
Alright this is annoying... the offline availability option just annihilated my OS drive as far as space... just wasted over 10gb... and that's a LOT. I only had about 17-18GB free space left... :(

chawks2

G, just out of curiousity, did you ever try disabling the index/search service to see if it behaves in the same manner?

OP
g0dM@n

[email protected]

Inactive Moderator
G, just out of curiousity, did you ever try disabling the index/search service to see if it behaves in the same manner?

Do I have to delete that service altogether or is there a way to disable it on SELECT folders?

As for the offline cache issue, I was able to finally get through it... was a bit tedious. I had to keep retrying the unchecking of "make available offline" to subdirectory after subdirectory... and although it kept giving errors, I kept dropping down to subdirectories. I then ran this command (not sure if this made the difference or not), but I had to reboot to notice the disk space was back:
Code:
REG ADD "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CSC\Parameters" /v FormatDatabase /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

My disk space went from 6.74gb free space to 14.6gb free space (thought I had more before, but I recently installed L4D2 so maybe I forgot to add that in)... either way, 14.6gb free space is enough on my 60gb SSD stripe.

Joeteck

Retired
Is workstation user account on the XP computer? With the same credentials?

You don't have a domain, so you'll need to create that user on the system, so the XP computer can grant access. Then you would add that user to the administrators group of the XP system. Also be sure the work groups are the same, and the systems names are different..

EDIT:

Unless this (indexing) is your problem;

Right click the network folder, and select "Always available offline"

Attachments

• Always.jpg
    Always.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 3,603
Last edited:
OP
g0dM@n

[email protected]

Inactive Moderator
Is workstation user account on the XP computer? With the same credentials?

You don't have a domain, so you'll need to create that user on the system, so the XP computer can grant access. Then you would add that user to the administrators group of the XP system. Also be sure the work groups are the same, and the systems names are different..

EDIT:

Unless this (indexing) is your problem;

Right click the network folder, and select "Always available offline"
I have done it that way. I connect to the server with the local admin creds.
There is a C: and E: partition. EVERYTHING I want is on the E: partition on the server/HTPC.

For example:
server name: godman-htpc
user name: let's say "user"

I connect as godman-htpc/user
Password: thepassword

That's how I have drive E: mapped. EVERYTHING on the server/HTPC that I need is on that drive, and it's mapped on my Windows 7 Pro machine (my main/client machine), so I have full rights.

Again, when this main machine of mine had Win XP on it, I had ZERO problems. I'm telling you... it's Windows 7.

As for making files available offline... I will NOT do that. It rapes my Windows partition. My windows partition on my main machine is 2x30GB OCZ Vertex in Raid 0 with just 14.6GB of free space. When I make available offline, it will obliterate my free space... and the free space on my SSD is only for programs and games, not file storage.

What I do realize is most of the time I have these issues and I pinpoint it down or check errors, it relates to these files:
Thumbs.db
desktop.ini

*notice in my post, post #10 that most of the files in the attached image, showing the errors, are these types*

Joeteck

Retired
I have done it that way. I connect to the server with the local admin creds.
There is a C: and E: partition. EVERYTHING I want is on the E: partition on the server/HTPC.

For example:
server name: godman-htpc
user name: let's say "user"

I connect as godman-htpc/user
Password: thepassword

That's how I have drive E: mapped. EVERYTHING on the server/HTPC that I need is on that drive, and it's mapped on my Windows 7 Pro machine (my main/client machine), so I have full rights.

Again, when this main machine of mine had Win XP on it, I had ZERO problems. I'm telling you... it's Windows 7.

As for making files available offline... I will NOT do that. It rapes my Windows partition. My windows partition on my main machine is 2x30GB OCZ Vertex in Raid 0 with just 14.6GB of free space. When I make available offline, it will obliterate my free space... and the free space on my SSD is only for programs and games, not file storage.

What I do realize is most of the time I have these issues and I pinpoint it down or check errors, it relates to these files:
Thumbs.db
desktop.ini

*notice in my post, post #10 that most of the files in the attached image, showing the errors, are these types*

So if you change your "folder and search options" not to display hidden system files, these error message will go away...no?

OP
g0dM@n

[email protected]

Inactive Moderator
I'm really getting EXTREMELY SICK of this problem. It's dumb as heck.

If I end process explorer.exe in taskmanager and then start explorer.exe again, the problem goes away, but just for a brief moment.

Say I'm trying to move a folder on my file-server... as soon as it doesn't work, I can end explorer.exe and restart it, then it works... as soon as I go to move another folder, I have to do the same thing again.

I'm really sick of this. Libraries are not running... I NEVER had this problem until Windows 7. I love Win 7 and will stick with it... but this is really getting on my nerves and it will only aggravate me more and more...

OP
g0dM@n

[email protected]

Inactive Moderator
No one else has this problem?

I work a TON off of my file-server, for tons of documents, quick books, my outlook, etc... I receive this error often when renaming files/folders, and when moving...

hafa

Bit of a thread resurrection here, but that's OK because it's for [email protected]

Did you ever resolve this issue? One thing that finally seeped into my poor brain is the possibility that this issue is due to the thumbs.db being locked. Have you tried setting the default folder view to "details" and killing the folder preview feature?