• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cadoangelus

Registered
I've been researching Windows 7 as i intend to buy it in the very near future. Now i've noticed slight differences in price between Windows 7 and Windows 7 Upgrade - Ultimate mainly.

The main thing that's been bugging me is that I can't find any information that may give any hint towards the difference between W7 and W7 Upgrade. Can anyone shine any light on this? Any information would be much appreciated.

Randyman...

All W7 upgrades require a PRE ACTIVATED copy of an old OS to be in the computer, or the W7 Upgrade either won't install if you type in the key, or it won't activate if you leave the key out and enter it after the Upgrade Install.

If you rarely re-install your OS, then Upgrade Media is not a big deal. If you install a few times a year, this means you will have to worry about gettnig an OLD OS on the drive first (must be activated), and then do the Upgrade.

I, personally, always opt for the OEM versions. Never an issue over here, and I tweak a lot! Retail is for chumps IMNSHO...

:cool:

OP
cadoangelus

cadoangelus

Registered
Quick question, whats OEM? never reall known...

also, sounds like the upgrade isn't for me then, i tend to reinstall my OS a couple times a year...

conway

Quick question, whats OEM? never reall known...

Original equipment manufacturer. These are the versions of windows typically pre-installed when you buy a new pc. Through a loophole in the licensing documentation, end users may also purchase new copies of oem windows versions to install themselves. The loophole requires that the end user purchase a piece of hardware. It can be something as cheap as a sata cable. Not all vendors enforce that though.

OP
cadoangelus

cadoangelus

Registered
Original equipment manufacturer. These are the versions of windows typically pre-installed when you buy a new pc. Through a loophole in the licensing documentation, end users may also purchase new copies of oem windows versions to install themselves. The loophole requires that the end user purchase a piece of hardware. It can be something as cheap as a sata cable. Not all vendors enforce that though.
thanks for the clear up =P

heard it mentioned a lot - here especially - thought it'd be useful to understand what it actually meant.

No they don't. Ask me how I know :p
go on then, how do you know?

Randyman...

Interesting. I've heard from Windows Weekly that the ONLY way around this is to install the Upgrade W/O the Key. Let it install. Then, after the install is done, enter the Key. It WILL NOT Activate - so you call MS and explain your sob story, and they *might* activate you.

Beyond that (w/o calling MS and honestly stating your case), I don't know of any other ways to get around this.

OEM FTW IMO :)

lee

ok, here goes - i had win 7 RC loaded (considered the ultimate version), supposedly couldn't put the full version on unless it was an "ultimate upgrade" (which i couldn't afford)......so i looked around on the web and found how to do the "go-around" and it worked perfect - i loaded the Win 7 Home from a scratch setup and didn't have to "upgrade"..........there are ways to use the "upgrade" editions for full installs if you look around, worked for me.......just google it - thats how i found it.......

Neuromancer

IT has been mentioned a few time on the forums too. Since MS is acceppting of it is was not removed.

Install Vista/Se7en without key

When done installing boot from CD again and install upgrade with Key.

gsrcrxsi

you obviously can do the legit upgrade install. and upgrade from Vista or XP, Vista can be done in-place. XP requires a custom install (read, format, lose all settings/data)

sometimes (and i've done it) you can install the upgrade and put in the key during install and it will activate. even without a qualifying OS installed.

sometimes you will have to pull the double install trick and install the OS w/o key. then upgrade off of that un-activated "trial".

in the hundreds of times i've done this, not once did you HAVE to have an activated copy of windows on the computer to upgrade from. just a qualifying OS (XP, Vista, or 7 non beta/RC) the whole activation requirement is a lie, just like the cake.

conway

+1 Yes, please. :)

I was running the RC version of Win 7 Home Premium which wouldn't activate with the cdkey for Ultimate that MS gave out, so I just left it unactivated. I upgraded that to my retail copy of Win 7 when it came out. No problems at all.

audioAl

Registered
I called

Interesting. I've heard from Windows Weekly that the ONLY way around this is to install the Upgrade W/O the Key. Let it install. Then, after the install is done, enter the Key. It WILL NOT Activate - so you call MS and explain your sob story, and they *might* activate you.

Beyond that (w/o calling MS and honestly stating your case), I don't know of any other ways to get around this.

OEM FTW IMO :)

I called and they activated my Windows Ultimate 64 bit, I still use 32 bit but am ready for 64 next year.