• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 - what works and what doesnt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Stupid Question but how do you tell if something is running in compatibility mode??

I'm running Win 7 64 with no problems on the following programs.

Firefox 3.1 b2
Trillian 3.1 Basic
Tagscanner 5.0 build 525
utorrent 1.8.2
AdAware 8.0.2
O&O Defrag 11.1 build 3362
Nero 7 Ultra
Adobe Master Suite CS4
Avria Antivirus 8.2.0.337
Ulead Photoimpact X3

and Peerguardian 2 RC1 for Vista (that one needed a reg drive hack with the dseo12 Vista Driver signer)
I have not ran a program with compatibility mode yet, all programs I ran and tested worked right off the setup.
I had one problem with my setup desk that came with my dvd drive.
I was not able to install powerproducer and powerdvd but I think that is because of the setup. I'd be happy to share the folder for someone else to try.
You right click on icon and choose proprieties compatibility

Stupid Question but how do you tell if something is running in compatibility mode??

I'm running Win 7 64 with no problems on the following programs.

Firefox 3.1 b2
Trillian 3.1 Basic
Tagscanner 5.0 build 525
utorrent 1.8.2
AdAware 8.0.2
O&O Defrag 11.1 build 3362
Nero 7 Ultra
Adobe Master Suite CS4
Avria Antivirus 8.2.0.337
Ulead Photoimpact X3

and Peerguardian 2 RC1 for Vista (that one needed a reg driver hack with the dseo12 Vista Driver signer)

Add to my list
WinRAR 3.8
K-Lite Codec pack 4.5.3 full
Java 6 update 11
What's Running 2.2

will try to get the main thread updated this weekend, tomorrow i got to get 2 wisdom teeth yanked out one which is nice and deep! so will have plenty of time to get things updated and some more details on items.

will try to get the main thread updated this weekend, tomorrow i got to get 2 wisdom teeth yanked out one which is nice and deep! so will have plenty of time to get things updated and some more details on items.
take it easy dude rest relax

Just installed Winamp 5.541 and it seems to work ok but it get's stuck in this weird loop looking for a CD/CDR if the Winamp library window is open. It doesn't lock up or anything but it blinks and flashes for a few min while empty or until a new CD is put in the drive...

Edit....

Uninstalled Winamp after a few hours cause i think it broke something. Win Media Player 12 Stopped upating the media library and then completly lost the library after i installed Winamp.

Also I do no know if it was related but when i tried to restore Win 7 to before i put Winamp on, i found that the System restore feature somehow got turned off and wiped out all the restore points that were already there...

Last edited:
I can confirm the following programs as working fine:

Software:
Adobe Photoshop CS2 9
Sony Vegas Pro 8
Carrier ( aka Fun Pidgin)
Pidgin
All variations of Putty
HLSW
Google Talk
CoreTemp64
ePSXe 1.70 (playstation emulator)
and of course 3dMark Vantage.

Hardware:
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Gamer edition ( will install but sound cuts in and out, introduces a lot of static )
D-Link DWA 542 Desktop Adapter ( works fine )

Last edited:
cmd commands work with

nmap lastest version
zenmap
wireshark does not work still working on it. I will get it going had it working before.
ipconfig /all works
msconfig works
uac works

UT99 work pic included in game section online play works too

will update the mian thread tomorrow, been a semi "annoying week" havent been able to sit up for long periods with out my face swelling up, but it has calmed down alot.

divx player, ac3 filter code, divx encoder and xvid
Everything install with no intervention
capture18gl6.jpg

Shot at 2009-02-18

Hardware=Cannon flatbet Scanner fb 620u USB 1
Drivers windows 95
Cannon scangear tool box 2.2 works flawlessly
capture30gu0.jpg

Shot at 2009-02-19
scan img using scangear
save0000my0.png

Shot at 2009-02-19

msi CAPTURE DRIVER installed but does not seem to work TV@Anywhere PLUS
Still working with the WDM drivers For TV@anywhere
Alc 120 Error when installing img driver, will not install

Windows 7 wddm nvidia beta driver.
No input selection for s-video or compsite
output to tv does not work with s-video (still working on that)i have no s-video to composite adapter to see if the out put works
multi display to tv setting will not save and force tv does not help.
nvidias vista drivers does not work going to try xp drivers

okay this wasnt updated as i went back to vista for a while, but i finally got around to installing 7057 (glad me work finally let me get an MSDN!)

so i should be able to update this with user input.

for games you can add Titan Quest and Titan Quest Immortal Thrown to the list in Compatibility mode

For games:
City Life DOES NOT work due to their copy protection not being able to load

Its the copy protection that doesn't work. StarForce (I think). The OS pops up with a compatibility error and blocks the program (just as it does with Daemon Tools). Other then trying to run it as admin and in compatibility mode I havent bothered to try much else. Though I am irritated when games that I buy simply don't work (ESPECIALLY when its due to copyright protection and not the game itself... talk about only hurting the customers)

Back