• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 x64 /gaming and 4gb ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NGL_BrSH

I'm running Windows XP 32bit with 2gb of ram. It flies. I play COD4 MW2, L4D2 and BF2 mainly.

I have 4 gigs of ram available but never used it because the gain was sooooo minimal for XP.

Would Win7 be an upgrade or a hindrance to my gaming?

As long as I don't lose any performance I'll go to win7 which looks very cool and adds the new directX support.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
I saw a performance decrease going from XP to Vista (roughly 20%) but I've actually seen a slight increase in performance going from XP to 7. I did say at one point that I would never go away from XP and it would be my last Windows OS, but 7 is just that awesome.

baditude_df

Northern Senior
I don't see W7 being a hindrance for you.
If anything, go for a copy of W7 x64 and 4GB of RAM. From my experience, I think your overall PC experience would be improved. As far as gaming goes, I have played TF2, LFD, BF2 and DOD Source. All performed very well, in particular the more CPU dependant Source engine games.
I use a 3GB triple channel setup for gaming under W7 x64 and have had a great experience overall.
Then again, I'm running i7 and you are running a dual core Conroe. Still.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
My performance decrese from XP to Vista was 10% across the board synthetics to real.

W7 will be just fine. I too run W7 x64 with 4GB ram and I have no issues palying COD4, while ripping a DVD, listening to music (winamp or WMP), and having a browser up (Chrome) with multiple tabs.

DSM4Life

I'm running Windows XP 32bit with 2gb of ram. It flies. I play COD4 MW2, L4D2 and BF2 mainly.

I have 4 gigs of ram available but never used it because the gain was sooooo minimal for XP.

Would Win7 be an upgrade or a hindrance to my gaming?

As long as I don't lose any performance I'll go to win7 which looks very cool and adds the new directX support.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

So are you saying you took out the other 2 gigs of memory ?

vixro

Unless for some reason you have different sticks of ram (and not the same ram in 4 sticks), then there isn't really any reason you should only be using 2GB instead of 4GB when you already own it.
Unless of course, it messes with your overclock ability somehow... since some motherboards do better than others in 2 stick rather than 4 stick mode..