• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 XP Mode

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thefly

Quick question. I've installed windows xp mode in windows 7.

I have one Windows XP Mode.vmcx listed.

Is it possible to have multiple copies of xp running in xp mode or does windows 7 limit you to one xp vm?

Thanks

dim1014

you can have as many as you want. if you go to start> Windows Virtual PC, there will be a button at the top of that window called "Create Virtual Machine". Pretty sure you can use this to make as many as you want.

otherwise, you can use this guide to actually copy the files to make clones of a vm (and they will all be independent), it's pretty simple, this is the method I used
http://www.sevenforums.com/virtualization/19604-how-copy-virtual-xp-machine.html

However, it seems as though these VM's cannot be backed up. That is, I tried backing mine up because I had to reformat my computer, and I was not able to run them again properly with the new OS, so it seems as though they are somehow bound to the OS they were made in. For this reason, most people might opt to use vmware.

UnseenMenace

UnseenModerator
remember that any security on Window7 does not protect the XP mode session as such it may require AV etc depending upon usage

OP
thefly

thefly

Thanks guys.

I'm going to play around with xp mode a little. Seems like a nice feature for enterprise networks which might need to run legacy applications.

Is there a free version of vmworkstation without trial limitations?

dim1014

i dont believe there is actually, i have my version through my company because i use it for work related stuff

Cowboy Shane

Thanks guys.

I'm going to play around with xp mode a little. Seems like a nice feature for enterprise networks which might need to run legacy applications.

Is there a free version of vmworkstation without trial limitations?

It is very good for legacy apps. I have to use it at work in order to use Cisco's VPN Client app on my 64 bit workstation. I now have an entry for it that runs under 32 bit Windows XP as if it were any other application on my system. I also added the copy of Remote Desktop from there to my start menu.

OP
thefly

thefly

In my case it's for a juniper secure application vpn software which doesn't currently run on win7. At least the version we have.

I'm going to check and see if they are planning to upgrade to version 6.5 which apparently supports 64 bit win os.