• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7's first DirectX 12 game is 'World of Warcraft'

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

http://www.engadget.com/amp/2019/03/12/directx-12-windows-7/

"Gamers who remain on Windows 7 can now play*World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth with the added boost of DirectX 12. Microsoft announced that Blizzard would be the first game developer to offer DirectX 12*support for Windows 7. This will be good news for stubborn*Windows 7*users who still haven't upgraded to Windows 10. Thanks to the API's support for multi-threading, players can expect a framerate boost even on the older OS."

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14078/microsoft-brings-dx12-to-windows-7

"Microsoft has posted an update on their DirectX Blog announcing that they’ve brought a form of DirectX 12 to Windows 7, via official support for the latest DX12 version of World of Warcraft on Windows 7."

bww794

Registered
As a wow player, I personally play with it set on DX11. I have found that certain things drive my GPU insane when on DX12. I could be playing at 200fps on maxed settings and the second I get near a dust cloud, my fps falls through the floor, gpu utilization rockets straight to 100%, temps on my Radeon seven begin to elevate out of control nearing 90c and the fan curve sends fans to 100%.... All over a dust cloud.

Personally, I think playing wow with DX12 enabled is pointless and still needs some things worked out. It's a 15 year old game on an outdated engine. I don't think the news of getting to play wow with DX12 is ground breaking news for anyone.

Edit: I'm on Windows 10, but I just thought my experience with DX12 was relevant.

Wow (no pun intended). Mildly surprised, I thought MS was standing firm on their stance of "no chance in hell" on porting DX12 back to Win7.

OP
Kenrou

Kenrou

I gained anywhere from 15fps to 30fps (depending on area) with DX12 and zero side effects so far in WoW so i really can't complain :D