• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows *-> 8 <-*: RTM: Friday, July 1, 2011

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've been hoping he'd let me re-install vista from a clean disk, not the acer one packed full of garbage addons. Doesn't look likely.
XP performance was terrible till we found the ACPI patch for XP, amazing what not being stuck on 166x6 with no cpu fan can do!
There is a program floating around that will allow you to backup your Vista activation. Then, if you can get hold of a clean Vista installation disk (I think there are legal ways to do that?), you can just install it without activation (choose the edition you had), and restore your activation.

Not sure if it's 1000% legal, but legal enough for me. Afterall, you did pay for the license, and you are using your own serial number/activation on the same machine (it won't work if you try to "restore" it to another machine). I've been doing this since I got my first Vista laptop. No problems ever. You can update and do the genuine windows check thing all you want.

Same goes for Win 7, but I'm using my MSDNAA copy, so I haven't tried that.

the only issue i have with Vista... is Microsoft designed it to be run on beefy machines. It has no scalability. Either you have a beefy machine and it runs fine or you don't and it's a kludgy mess.

Windows 7 scales so much better to the hardware it is installed on. It also doesn't have a lot of the small annoyances that vista had with it's UI design.

the only issue i have with Vista... is Microsoft designed it to be run on beefy machines. It has no scalability. Either you have a beefy machine and it runs fine or you don't and it's a kludgy mess.

Windows 7 scales so much better to the hardware it is installed on. It also doesn't have a lot of the small annoyances that vista had with it's UI design.

Totally agree.

XP-Vista took 6 years, but there were some "real" improvements - UAC (I know how everyone hates it, but it's a step in the right direction - mimicking Unix's sudo), power management, DX10, and cosmetic changes.

Vista-7 was ridiculous. 7 is like a patch for Vista, and they sell it for an arm and a leg. It would make sense as a free or very cheap upgrade from Vista.

+1

Next thing you know they will be selling Windows 7.1 with a pink theme for $299. Ultimate edition allows you to change the color.

That's not correct. IIRC, even Home Basic will let you change the colours.

The only difference would be is that transparency is disabled.

And Home Premium allows transparency. (aka Aero Glass)

Last edited:
Nowhere else in the commercial software world do you see people getting away with this.

Next thing you know they will be selling Windows 7.1 with a pink theme for $299. Ultimate edition allows you to change the color.

Obviously you have never bought a video game ;)

Yeah windows 7 runs great on older hardware, for some reason though it is not a smooth as my Vista 64 bit install though.

As for the GUI, to me so far, it is Vista, with all the things that people complained about Vista that I had never experienced, and am experiencing now LOL

Problems with networking speed and crashing explorer when trying to transfer too many files... simple things that are now completely hidden or need 6+ mouse clicks to get to. That auto maximizing window thing is really, really freaking annoying (going to have to figure out how to disable that), the new task bar hides things too well. I often do not see new IMs from people in messenger, and for some reason even with only one widow open the task bar show 2 open for WLM.

I will continue to use it though, because it is new and I need to learn it inside and out.

Oh and no way is 7 faster than Vista. The RC was... RTM is not.

Last edited:
I have been running Vista since RC and a side from the stupid creative driver issues I had with my Audigy 4 I have no complaints. The bad press came mostly from people trying to use old equipment with new software and the drive support not being there. Also stupid MFGs and retailers selling system that had no business having Vista on them. They barely ran XP. Something that M$ is to blame for with Vista was the Vista ready stickers. What I dumb idea, but I guess it made them money.

I plan on installing Win 7 as soon as I get a new HD. I really don't want to have to reinstall windows and everything twice. Even if Win 7 is mostly just an update to Vista, I want to learn the ins and outs. Since companies are eventually going to have to say good bye to XP; it is good to stay current with were OS are at.

I don't know. My buddy put vista on his old pentium 3 and it took 10 minutes to boot up. When he had xp on it, it only took about 2.

put windows 98 on that mechine and it will boot in 30 seconds. Its just the way it is. Vista was designed for a minimum of 2gb of RAM to operate correctly. It struggles below that. Vista is fine, its my main os at home on my gaming mechine. I don't even duel boot xp anymore. There is no need to (apart from really old games). Its 64bit, and after getting the graphics drivers sorted just after vistas release, ive been running it since. My reliabiliy index is currently 10 (the maximum). UAC is turned off cause I can't stand that ****, but XP had those stupid popups for executables anyway.

I'm happy with vista, but I love the look and feel of win 7 so I will be upgrading at some point.

Linux boots in about 30. Plus it looks so much nicer than 98. AND I already went through the trouble of installing wow through wine for him so no way I'm doing a new install. ( And to answer any future questions, yes wow lags like crazy for him)

put windows 98 on that mechine and it will boot in 30 seconds. Its just the way it is. Vista was designed for a minimum of 2gb of RAM to operate correctly. It struggles below that. Vista is fine, its my main os at home on my gaming mechine. I don't even duel boot xp anymore. There is no need to (apart from really old games). Its 64bit, and after getting the graphics drivers sorted just after vistas release, ive been running it since. My reliabiliy index is currently 10 (the maximum). UAC is turned off cause I can't stand that ****, but XP had those stupid popups for executables anyway.

I'm happy with vista, but I love the look and feel of win 7 so I will be upgrading at some point.

The lowest i have done is an AMD 64 1.8ghz, with 1 gig of ram. boots up in about 45 seconds, and runs remarkably well.

128 bit OS backwards compatable with 64 bit hardware? it's a very exciting time we live in.

Seems well confirmed on Google that there was a windows 8 team assembled well before the RTM release of windows 7.

I never had much trouble with Vista. Ran it on a Pentium D from the first beta, to the final release, and even ran the first beta of 7 on that same Pentium D. None of the OSes were slow or buggy on it.

Obviously you have never bought a video game ;)

Yeah windows 7 runs great on older hardware, for some reason though it is not a smooth as my Vista 64 bit install though.

As for the GUI, to me so far, it is Vista, with all the things that people complained about Vista that I had never experienced, and am experiencing now LOL

Problems with networking speed and crashing explorer when trying to transfer too many files... simple things that are now completely hidden or need 6+ mouse clicks to get to. That auto maximizing window thing is really, really freaking annoying (going to have to figure out how to disable that), the new task bar hides things too well. I often do not see new IMs from people in messenger, and for some reason even with only one widow open the task bar show 2 open for WLM.

I will continue to use it though, because it is new and I need to learn it inside and out.

Oh and no way is 7 faster than Vista. The RC was... RTM is not.

You think the RC was fast? The Betas were AMAZINGLY fast. It would boot in 45 seconds off of a five year old 7200RPM hard drive, and then never bog down, no matter what you did.

I never had much trouble with Vista. Ran it on a Pentium D from the first beta, to the final release, and even ran the first beta of 7 on that same Pentium D. None of the OSes were slow or buggy on it.

You think the RC was fast? The Betas were AMAZINGLY fast. It would boot in 45 seconds off of a five year old 7200RPM hard drive, and then never bog down, no matter what you did.

Nice old thread bump.

Anyone who "never had much trouble" with Vista never tried copying large files across a gigabit network. I abandoned Vista until SP1 finally resolved that issue.

Vista just got bad press. It's better than XP which was better than its predecessors, and so on. It's just progress.

Yep, the same here. Probably some whiners that expected Vista to work perfect on only a 1.0 Ghz and only 512 MB of RAM.

Also probably some whiners that expected it to work with a 1999 with 128 MB of RAM.

Yep, the same here. Probably some whiners that expected Vista to work perfect on only a 1.0 Ghz and only 512 MB of RAM.

Also probably some whiners that expected it to work with a 1999 with 128 MB of RAM.

I tested Vista Business on a non-HT P4 with 512Mb of RAM. If you dumb it down enough it works surprisingly well.

The major improvements to the OS from XP is the ability to resize and align partitions (and it's driver support as well). This allows you to install it to a single partition spanning the entire drive. With a full format or clean install it can optimize any hard drive enhancing performance and life. All the eyecandy bloat is nonsense including the desktop windows mgr session mgr and aeropeek (nice but bloat compared to linux). Themes should have come with the os with 98. Too late now. Acpi finally works. In Xp it would forget on an all too regular basis what it's settings were. Overall it is a much more streamlined stable platform. Vista is only good if you need it to repair someone else's vista. whatever. Linux still blows windows out of the water on all fronts.
All I want to know is why the card reader I have that worked flawless in xp now does not in 7 with it's unparalleled driver support? The os sees it as an ehome infrared receiver for some odd reason.
Fixed it by manually updating the ehome device to a usb one.

Last edited:
Back