• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows cannot find C:\program files\InstallShield\ installation information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

carl606

Hello there

On my windows xp machine, just after logging on, a dialog box popped up in front of a blue screen saying

C:\program files\InstallShield Installation information\
{C4A4722E-79F9-417C-BD72-8D359A090C97}\SET

Windows cannot find C:\program files \ InsallShield installation information\
{C4A4722E-79F9-417C-BD72-8D359A090C97}\Setup.exe.
Make sure you typed the name correctly and try again, to search for file click the start button, and then click search

I just clicked on the OK button , and things just loaded up normally.

But i would just like to know why i got this dialog box, i did not type any names in at all

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
Hello, welcome to OCF! :welcome:

Did you install something prior to shutting down / restarting the machine? Looks like it was trying to continue setup of something after a restart and the installer didn't place the continuation where it was supposed to.

If you didn't install something, I'd get to virus scanning straightaway to make sure something you don't want hasn't decided to install itself.

OP
C

carl606

If you didn't install something, I'd get to virus scanning straightaway to make sure something you don't want hasn't decided to install itself.

Thanks for replying, hokiealumnus..

I will be sure to that straight away when i get back.
The programs i have installed on the xp machine are avast anti virus, windows defender, and malicious software removal tool.

If it comes up clean, what would be my next step...:)

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
Heh...that's all I've got. If the scans come up clean and it was a one-off deal (meaning you can restart without the error), attribute it to gremlins and move on. If it repeats, try uninstalling and reinstalling the most recent program you installed.

OP
C

carl606

Heh...that's all I've got. If the scans come up clean and it was a one-off deal (meaning you can restart without the error), attribute it to gremlins and move on. If it repeats, try uninstalling and reinstalling the most recent program you installed.

COOL...

I'll post back and let you know how it goes.
I think its just one of them, "windows has forgot what it was doing moments"

which does happen...:screwy: