• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Nt and remote login to server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Just shoot

Here's my problem I'm trying to configure Windows NT 4.0 to allow remote logins from outside the network through the VPN. So that local corpoarte e-mail can be accessed along with certain programs and files. I would also like to be able to login to a existing account, and not login as guest.

1.) Is it possible to browse the server as if I was on the network with say netbios, or is it that protocal supported over a VPN?
2.) Do I need to have RAS service enabled to do this,since its going to be a dial up connection?
3.) Do I need to have remote login enabled in the router?
4.) Would I be better setting up a ftp server for files but then what do I do to run programs?

I'm pretty vague because I'm not really sure were to start, or if its totally possible. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Just Shoot

engjohn

DanFraser said:
I would choose VNC or PCAnywhere... VPN can be the worst thing to ever try...

You have that backwards...
Lose pcAnywhere... Expensive and too slow...
I setup VPN solutions all day log for Doctors offices, Law offices, you name it.

The easiest thing to do is get a VPN server/router (Like a cheap Netopia R910 $250 USD) to handle the VPN. Then use the DNS server of the remote network as your primary DNS server to allow accessing machines by name, or you can just edit the hosts file and add the ip addr and name of the remote machine names. You do not need to browse the network... Just map a network drive to the DATA share on your server (where ALL of your data should be) and you can access it just like any other mapped drive.

if you want more help PM me and we can talk...

OP
J

Just shoot

Thanks engjohn I was hoping someone new what I was trying to do. Pc anywhere and vnc are very useful tools and have there applications but to setup for a constant application and or train someone how to use can be trouble some. Specially for people that can barely turn on a computer let alone learn something like those programs. In a company application were you might have ten or more people logging into you network a VPN is the only way to go and also provides much more security.
Thanks and YGPM.

ronin1967

Setup sharing, and allow access through specfic ports in your firewall(I assume you are using one), if you want total control of the server for offsite administration then there is a program called Remote Administor that works great(if you need it let me know). Otherwise FTP would work fine...

WildArmSX

If you are using Window NT Server is has a built in server called Terminal service which is basically RDP. That is basically the same as VNC or any remote control software.

OP
J

Just shoot

I guess I didn't explain myself very well. I have the VPN setup and can log in remotely but only as guest. Our sales staff wants to beable to access in house e-mail as well as outside e-mail which I have configured and setup using mapped network drives through the VPN. The next problem is we have a database program that keeps track of all costumors info buying habits and what not. The sales staff need access to this programs database while on the road and is located on the NT-SERVER. With the permissions that I have established this program can only be reached based on when the user logs into the server, which then gives access depending. Is it possible to have people log in through the VPN under there own user accounts so that they don't log into as guest? I've tried several different settings and to noaval keep logging in as guest from a remote location. I've dug through as much as I can and I just can't get it working the way I want to. I've tried to configure the SERVER's permissions to allow myself to log in remote but it just doesn't work, what services do I have to have running to do this, Its got to be possible.