• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows on case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joshh100

Hey all, this is really my first time ever being interested in this stuff as well as my first post. It wasn't till a month ago or so I started screwing around inside my computer and figuring out how to do stuff like new HD's and new CD drives and all that good stuff. Now Im really getting interested in this stuff so I want to learn how to build... (Just for a little background info) Right now what I want to do is add a window to my case. I think that they look really cool and all but Im a little scared to do it because Im not sure of the process that is involved in doing this. I'm sure you all have done it before so if you could give me a brief description of what I have to do, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BaldHeadedDork

Hey Josh-Welcome to the forums!

It'll help us to know what kind of case you have so we can give specific recommendations.

But the easiest way to do your first window is to work with a kit from a reputable vendor. Crazy PC is my favorite shop for modding supplies. I've used their window kits before and highly recommend them, in large part because their instructions are terrific.

If you want an overview of what's involved before you buy, Tom's Hardware Guide did a great story on modding a couple of months back. This piece also talks a lot about painting, too.

Also, a lot of case makers offer replacement side panels with windows installed, which you might want to look into.

Good Luck-

BHD

OP
J

Joshh100

Thank you for answering me, but pertaining to what kind of case I have.. I know I may be made the laughing stock of the forum but I have a dell.. when I got my computer 2 years ago, I was only 13 and I would have no clue how to do any of this stuff so thats what I got. Do you have any idea if a window can be placed on one of these?

Matthew1001

Joshh100 said:
Thank you for answering me, but pertaining to what kind of case I have.. I know I may be made the laughing stock of the forum but I have a dell.. when I got my computer 2 years ago, I was only 13 and I would have no clue how to do any of this stuff so thats what I got. Do you have any idea if a window can be placed on one of these?

You can put a window in it and you won't be the laugh stock of the forums. But that doesn't mean I would go around telling everybody. For future reference, case modding topics belong in Alternative Modding. Good luck Josh!

y0ungsta

Registered
Hi Josh,
What are you going to use to cut the case? A dremel? Here's a tip don't apply so much pressure on the dremel while cutting it'll break the cutting disc plus wear out the dremel. Take your time cutting it, it's fun :)

peppy

I know I may be made the laughing stock of the forum but I have a dell

Hey Josh don't be scared, the people are nice here and are willing to help:)

I have a window in my computer and I only spent a few dollars.
my method includes a
Dremel
Plexi-Glass
Ruber Lining (Goes around the edges you will cut,)
Duct Tape
Sand paper (rough grit like 80 or something)

1. First I bought the supplies I didn't have (like the plexi, I
made them cut it for me 1 foot by 1 foot (your size may very).

2. I got a ruler and in pencil on the back I marked exactly where I
wanted the window to be placed.

3. With the dremel I cut out the square CAREFULLY making sure
not to bend the side cover. I then sanded around where I cut.

4. I put the rubber lining around the edges of the window. Lined
up the window to make sure it fit and everything and applied
the Duct Tape to keep the window in place, but making sure
the tape was not visible.

Hope This Helps

I painted my case too and put a green cold cathode light in it (kinda like a neon light):) get creative and remember to post pics if you can.:D