• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Protection Error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
Now, hold on - I've searched and searched, there's a butt-load of threads on this subject, but none of them fixed my problem.

Last night I was half-asleep when some thunder rolled in. I stumbled through the dark with my "*** damn mother ****ing piece of ****ing **** ****ing weather" mentality and pulled all of my machines out of the wall without shutting them down.

So now all except the P250 will boot up. I haven't opened the case, I haven't even TOUCHED the case, or keyboard, or mouse, or monitor. I just pulled the plug, and this goes and happens.

I have 20 completed SETI WUs I need to dump from that thing today. I don't feel like ripping the hard drive out of the death-trap of a case, what can I do to fix this? Safe Mode yields the same problem.

Do you have a boot disk? if so you could try booting from that and type sys c: at the A prompt (It'll replace the system files and boot sector).

You can get a boot disk here.

**EDIT** If that doesn't help, try to tell us what it does or doesn't do.

If that doesn't work, then I'm just gonna clean out all the directories and reinstall 95. I don't want to F with it and risk loosing all those WUs.

Mmm I'm not sure, but AFAIK only winME (Not sure bout XP) lets you reinstall without losing data, other OS's alway want to format first, I could be wrong tho...haven't used 95/98 for a long time.

**EDIT** couldn't you make a "back-up" of those WU's?...just a thought (I'm a folder that's crunching for a while, so I don't know jack S*&^ about SETI).

*** ****ING DAMMIT :mad: :mad: :mad:

I deleted everything except the SETI directory and reinstalled 95. Guess what? Same GD problem. I ran mem tester, it was fine. Video card seems to be fine, no artifacts or anything like that. I think the 640MB Compaq HDD I have has finally crapped out. I'm hooking up to my Athlon right now to salvage those 20 WUs.

That sucks, I know how you feel, I had a 800Mb (something like that) Conner HDD that crapped out on me all of a sudden for no reason...well I pulled the plug just like you did, only difference is that it was in a Packard HELL.

Hope you can get those WU's back.

BTW: I suggest you throw it out the window, and if you don't...throw it thru the window (Not funny....but I think it won't last long, all drives I've had that did that kept giving me errors).

Good luck

Oh, no. I got the work units back. This thing knows better than to F with me like that. :mad:

I just reinstalled 95 AGAIN, this time on a fresh partition and new crap like that, same HDD, with nothing on it - SAME GD PROBLEM.

Now I gotta go find a hard disk I can use. CRAP. AGH! :mad:

Ooooooooookkkaaaaayyyy... that last reply should've been submitted before 5PM... but anyway...

I ended up trashing the 640MB and going with the 240MB HDD that has been thrown around in my book bag for months now. The 640MB wouldn't work witha clean install of 95b, the 240MB still booted the four-year-old installation of 95b it had. :rolleyes:

*Sigh of F-ing relief*

Back