• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows share between 9x and 2k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gahdzila

Having a little trouble sharing folders on my home network. My windows 2000 box can see the shared folders/printers on my windows ME box, read them, etc...no problem. However, the windows ME box cannot see shared folders on the windows 2000 box.

Admittedly, I'm new to windows 2000, so maybe I'm doing something completely wrong...but it really doesn't seem that different from 9x, other than the fact that it doesn't work.

On the 2k box, I right-clicked a folder, clicked on sharing. This brings up the "sharing" tab window. Click the radio button next to "share this folder." Didn't work. Tried the "permissions" button...added users "everyone" and "ANNONYMOUS LOGON" and "Guest." None helped.

On the windows ME box, when I browse to "Network Neighborhood," I can see the windows 2000 box in the workgroup. Double-clicking on it brings up a dialogue box asking for a password. Tried my windows 2000 password for my power user, also tried the administrator password. The windows ME box doesn't use a password (null password, I think it's called?) so I also tried just hitting enter at the prompt.

Thanks for any ideas!!!

One last note:
Wasn't sure if this belonged here in networking, or in the Windows OS forum. Mods, feel free to move it if you think I'll get a better response over there.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
the problem with trying to view the shared folders in winme is that you need to have the username and password on your winme box the same as that of the win2k box. your win2k box is denying the winme box access because it doesn't have a proper username and password...

OP
gahdzila

gahdzila

there is...just figured it out!

As administrator, on the windows 2k box, I added another user (control panel...users and passwords)...with the same username as is used on the windows ME box. Then, I shared the folder on the 2k box, giving that username permissions.

errr...maybe that's what you were telling me to do to begin with...but I thought you were telling me to change the username of the win me box to the same one that was on the 2k box...didn't want to do that, as my wife would probably be annoyed with me renaming her computer "gahdzila" :D

anyway...thanks a bunch!

mbentley

gahdzila said:
there is...just figured it out!

As administrator, on the windows 2k box, I added another user (control panel...users and passwords)...with the same username as is used on the windows ME box. Then, I shared the folder on the 2k box, giving that username permissions.

errr...maybe that's what you were telling me to do to begin with...but I thought you were telling me to change the username of the win me box to the same one that was on the 2k box...didn't want to do that, as my wife would probably be annoyed with me renaming her computer "gahdzila" :D

anyway...thanks a bunch!

actually, that's not what i had in mind (i had the opposite of what you did in mind), but that is a great idea :) i wish i would have thought of that one ;)

OP
gahdzila

gahdzila

well...thanks anyway. 'twas you that started the ideas rolling in my head (about needing matching usernames).

I've been playing with Linux a little lately, and trying (unsuccessfully) to get Samba working. And that's the way it has to be done on a Samba server...you've got to make a username on the Samba server that is the same as your windows username. (at least...that's how I THINK it's supposed to go...like I said, I havent got Samba working yet. And probably won't, as I've grown frustrated with it over the last couple of days, and I'll probably reformat that box very soon with some flavor of windows)

mbentley

gahdzila said:
well...thanks anyway. 'twas you that started the ideas rolling in my head (about needing matching usernames).

I've been playing with Linux a little lately, and trying (unsuccessfully) to get Samba working. And that's the way it has to be done on a Samba server...you've got to make a username on the Samba server that is the same as your windows username. (at least...that's how I THINK it's supposed to go...like I said, I havent got Samba working yet. And probably won't, as I've grown frustrated with it over the last couple of days, and I'll probably reformat that box very soon with some flavor of windows)

i know exactly how you feel about messing with samba... i can share an internet connection but i could never get samba to work... guess i didn't have enough patience at the time :)