• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

\Windows\System32\Config\System-Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PiMpShiN

Im getting an error on my computer during the booting process. Before it gets to the windows xp boot screen it displays an error message,

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using original setup cd. Select "r" at first screen to start repair."

I want to solve the problem without having to format and reinstall the operating system. Im not too knowledgable on using windows repair. This all happened during an overclock and i returned the processor back to stock but still got the same error. Is anyone familiar with this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Movax

No easy answer. The best thing to do is go into the recovery console and type this:

cd \windows\system32\config
ren system system.old
cd \windows\repair
copy system c:\windows\system32\config

Then, you must reboot and reinstall all necessary software and drivers.

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
Movax said:
No easy answer. The best thing to do is go into the recovery console and type this:

cd \windows\system32\config
ren system system.old
cd \windows\repair
copy system c:\windows\system32\config

Then, you must reboot and reinstall all necessary software and drivers.
Very nice Movax...that procedure sure makes recovering from a corrupted Registry a lot easier, as compared to going through each of the steps outlined in the following MSKB article:

How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from Starting :)