• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows trouble

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DJ Smak

Ihave XP Home , I have some spyware on my comp that i cant get rid of. My Norton 2004 detected 29 at risk adwares on my pc. I had used Spybot but it didnt seem to get rid of the ones that my Norton detected because they are still there when i do a virus scan. I then downloaded adaware and did another scan and found a few more and deleted them, did a virus scan again and yes, they are still there.

Wait, it gets better, after having both spyscanners on my comp, it messed things up. I could only browse main pages of websites, if i clicked on stuff to go into the sites, my comp froze and i had to use the task manager to end them. I tried to do a system restore and it wont let me, it sats the systeam cannot be restored, Ive tried this 4 times to no avail.

I am wondering what I can do to get rid of this spyware without having to do a reformat. My new pc didnt come with the software cd to reformat, even though it is brand new, like 3 weeks old.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Restart in safe mode then run spybot, spysweeper, and adaware with the latest definitions. Also run CWShredder and Hijackthis, then post the hijackthis log on the forums so we can check it out.

I'll attach the article that will be on the OC.com in a few days, but it is long so I dunno if you will want to read the whole thing...

Attachments

• Malware Warfare.doc
    20.5 KB · Views: 47
OP
D

DJ Smak

Well i downloaded adaware again, didnt get spybot yet coz last time i had both it frigged my machine up. I did manage to get rid of 11 of the sywares out of 29 so its a start, just wondering why Norton cant delete them, its up to date and all?

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Norton isn't a spyware tool. It's primarily an antivirus tool.

You need to download CWShredder atleast, if you aren't going to download and run everything I recommended. CWS can only be removed by this program, so nothing else will get rid of it. Get them from www.majorgeeks.com, as they will have the most recent versions there.

If you are not running these from safe mode, then the files may be engaged and the programs will not be able to remove them - that may be norton's problem.

OP
D

DJ Smak

I did do it in safemode, some of the files were deleted by adaware, Norton didnt delete any of them, I understand its an antivirus tool but if its able to detect spyware, why cant it delete it? I downloaded spybot V 1.2 as the reviews on V 1.3 are not that good plus it messed up my comp when i had the new one yesterday.

The spybot detected some files that adaware didnt such as the Alexa one, the new one didnt even detect it!!

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Because it takes work to create detections for every given spyware... It takes more work and research to create automatic removal routines for every given spyware.

Did you not see where I recommended CWShredder, or did it not find anything? I am not kidding about the importance of running this - the latest version is 1.59.1 I believe.

snafumaster

Software Jedi
I didn't see any mention of Bazooka Spyware scanner ( http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/ ) It is a very small program and also very quick. It tends to pick up some of the more obscure and most recent stuff. The downside (or upside depending on your outlook) is that it for the mostpart only has manual instructions. These, however are usually pretty comprehensive.

I've been doing a lot of windows box clean-outs lately for friends and colleagues. I will first run spybot. If your spybot version is over a month old...uninstall it and delete the program directory. Get the latest version. If you are trying to update the old version, you will have zero luck. The are some cool new features with the new version. Look into them. Then I will try bazooka. Follow thier instuctions to a "T".
Another thing to remember about spybot is that it will install dummy files that are intended to trick the spyware programs into thinking that they are already installed. So, do not be too alarmed if you run it and it appears to be there, or is picked up by another program. It won't hurt to delete these dummies, but it does increase the likelyhood of them returning in full form later.

As far as norton goes, one more thing to keep in mind is that Norton likes to quarentine instead of deleting. Not always, but enough where you should keep it in mind.

Hope that helps