• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows xp install on new motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pummer

i have been running the system in the sig for a long while, and i'm looking to get the most out of my barton with a new motherboard and ram. however, i'm wondering if it's possible to get a new mobo and keep my OS install. it's basically hit or miss right? is there anything I can do besides the old repair install after putting the new mobo in?

glock19owner

right before you install the new MB...uninstall everything that has to do with the current MB from the device manager...this should give you a good chance on installing the new MB without having to reinstall the OS...

orange400

Good call. Then Windows XP will probably say "hey found a mobo" and stuff. You might also have to reactivate windows.

N-Bandit

well I replaced both the Mobo and CPU a few weeks ago and diddnt re-instal anything. but now I am starting to have stability issues. One of my Profiles in XP is totally corrupt when I log on under it the system locks up TOTALY. on another the toolbars are un able to be started now. when I re-started (using start, shutdown, restart computer) the system said it was shut down improperly and wanted to do a disk check. I let it and it said my Boot.ini file was corrupt. now I am sure that that isnt verry good.

SOOOOO....... I am now going to drop in a second HD so I can transferr my files onto it so I dont lose any work or little proggies that I have Downloaded and re-format and re-install windows XP. Im just worried about the whole re-activation thing. after the new mobo and CPU I had to re-activate and the guy wasnt to helpful. he asked what I had done to my system to prompt re-activation and when I told him he diddnt seem to believe me. He kept asking me if it wasnt just a new computer that I was tryng to install XP on rather than the same one just with new parts.

I just hope that this install goes good. My CD seems to have issues with re-formatting the HD to NTFS. Right now it is a fat32 drive. Ugh.

Mike

engjohn

uninstall the video card, install generic IDE drivers, uninstall USB/Firewire/Network cards....

That will get you going. I do this all the time with no issues...