• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP Pro Boot Floppys

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DDR-PIII

Disabled
Ok.... I've got the upgrade version of windows xp pro.... if i download the 4 boot floppys does that make it able for me to install my upgrade version of windows xp after loading those four boot floppys ?

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
upgrade to XP

I don't think so. You'll need an existing install of an older version of windows to use the upgrade cd.

OP
DDR-PIII

DDR-PIII

Disabled
ok well ive got the bootable version of windows xp home but i wont use it... but what if i install home will it aloow me to upgrde to windows xp then remove xp home aft6er xp pro is installed ?

looktall

boot from the xp pro cd and start to do a normal install.
sometime during the procedure it will look for a previous version of windows installed, if it doesn't find any (and it won't because you have a freshly formatted hdd) you can then put in the cd from a previous windows OS and it will then see that you're entitled to the upgrade and proceed with the install.

OP
DDR-PIII

DDR-PIII

Disabled
no i cant... the xp pro cd isntbootable there for i have to be in windows to see any type of a menu because when i try to run setup.exe on the cd though dos it says the program can only be run in windows,

OP
DDR-PIII

DDR-PIII

Disabled
can someone confirm this before i try it ? its a great link i just wanna make sure first :)

OP
DDR-PIII

DDR-PIII

Disabled
ok i was thinking "uh-oh"... would I be able to keep the part of xp home that is bootable and get rid of the rest and just take and put xp pro's files in place of xp home's files ?