• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP Pro Reboots! Please Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nicoritschel

Registered
Hey! I installed the OSX transformation pack from windowsx.org and didn't know how to uninstall it, so I did an upgrade installation of Windows, hoping that that it would overwrite the OSX transformation pack files. Now, every time windows tries to boot up, it shows the screen that appears when you shut down your computer while it is loading. It is the screen that gives a list of safe mode options, normal mode, etc. No matter what option I choose, the white bar on the bottom goes from left to right, then the screen goes black and the computer reboots. I don't know what's wrong. I REALLY do not want to reformat, because I don't have an extra drive large enough to save all my data. Someone please help me!

-Nico RItschel

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Welcome to the forums. :)

That wasn't too good of an idea... Sounds like your install went fubar.

Here's what you could do, dunno if its the best option though. You need to get a download of partition magic, and create a PM boot disk. You can create a new partition on the large drive and install a fresh copy of windows there. All of your data and things will still be on the other partition so it won't get written over. Having a seperate windows and data partition is a good idea anyways, so this isn't really a bad thing.

Once you are able to get into windows though, you will have some cleaning up to do as far as tweaking some things and deleting some stuff on the data partition (remnants of the broken windows). That should work for you though, and save from losing any data. You don't have that stuff backed up anywhere?