• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP Pro x64 Edition Resource Guide/FAQ

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I ended up going back to the 32bit version a few months ago as I couldnt get any printer drivers for my HP 7350 to work. I use my printer frequently and cant make do without it. Although, now that I think about it, I could just setup my laptop to run the printer and go back to 64bit on my desktop...

This is an operating system?

Worst support I have seen in twenty years. Vista 32 bit? Oh well:santa:

you should really update this thread seeing as how its a sticky and all... i can see that this thread is really old and it misleads everyone who reads it from a search on google. The hardware/software support for xp64 is great now. I have no problems with my xp64 system. I have an SLI system and I run all the latest games and all the latest drivers for my logitech mouse etc... everything just works... oh and i use symantec AV x64 (yes it comes with symantec corporate edition). Please update this sticky or delete it as it misrepresents XP64. - I will never go back to 32bit operating systems again... I'm dual booting between Vista x64 RC1 & XP64. ;)

C A eTrust r8 look out

C A eTrust r8 that is to work on win XP x64. Will not work. The free download will work for 30 days but after that if you pay $72.00 for the Registration and Key Code and try and unlock the program. It will not unlock. C A worked on this for 4 hours the other day and could not fix the problem. They wanted me to pay another $100.00 for more support and then try and fix the problem. Program will not unlock at all.

A real waste of money.:bday:

Well after some hesitation on the SP2 package ... I finally installed it today and everything seems work just fine . So if anyone else has also been abit hesitsant ;I'd say "go for it" as it seems safe to do and stable . ;)

Well after reading a bit about Vista and how things are going I plan to wait on it a while. Nice to see SP2 patch for XP64 as I am going to reinstall it now that I have done a fresh format and have it as a second OS. Can I have Ubuntu 6.10 as a 3rd booting OS, I would like to try Linux out,never have........

stereo555 said:
Well after some hesitation on the SP2 package ... I finally installed it today and everything seems work just fine . So if anyone else has also been abit hesitsant ;I'd say "go for it" as it seems safe to do and stable . ;)
Good to hear. I need to rebuild soon and Im thinking about trying x64 again.

so what are we saying?
that xp32 then all normal programs obviously work. any 64 bit programs on a 32bit OS will definatly not work..
and xp64, only some of the hardware and software that has been made for xp32 will work ?
obviously with a 64bit processor.

I'd like to find out whether the WinXP64 OEM disk is full or upgrade version?
By 'full' I mean it can install from scratch from the disc rather than from an Win XP (32bit) or Win 98.

I have found that when I get a error in Prime95 in my winxp 32 home edition my system slows down to a crawl and I can't close appliations. When I get the same error in winxp 64 I am able to recover nicely and close any bugged out apps so I can then reboot the normal way.
This is when I'm trying to OC further than my Q6600 can probably handle.

i have been burning in all day at home at 1.48v and 2.62Ghz, now when i got home it had finished the 13.5 hours and i set off prime95. it got to about 10 minutes or so and then the pc locked up.. what i dont like is that the pc locked up before prime got an error. so i returned the volts back to 1.5 and now prime has been running for about an hour.. its still running while im playing music and writing this - no probs. bit weird?

I have found that when I get a error in Prime95 in my winxp 32 home edition my system slows down to a crawl and I can't close appliations. When I get the same error in winxp 64 I am able to recover nicely and close any bugged out apps so I can then reboot the normal way.
This is when I'm trying to OC further than my Q6600 can probably handle.

This may be due to the fact that XP64 runs on the 2003 server kernal; I've found that this OS is phenomenally stable and recovers very well, much more so than any 32-bit version of XP.

I think I'm going to do all of my prime95 and orthos testing in xp64 from now on. I like being able to recover and xp32 has hung on me and it was hours before I noticed it... The graphics were still going but when it came to clicking on anything it was a no go...

Has anyone compared gaming benchmarks between x64 and x32?

I usually find that I'm hitting 10 fps or so lower in most games on x64. That said, I stick with it as my primary os b/c of the stability and the memory capacity.

Has anyone compared gaming benchmarks between x64 and x32?

I usually find that I'm hitting 10 fps or so lower in most games on x64. That said, I stick with it as my primary os b/c of the stability and the memory capacity.

I've gotten the opposite, i generally see 10-20 FPS more on x64, its mainly the fact that for my card the drivers just tend to work better for 64bit, weird i know, but hey, im not complaining.

I've used x64 for a couple years now and i wouldn't switch back to 32bit.

I'm running XP64 exclusively now. It is just amazingly stable and when I do have an issue it's easy to recover. I'm also running a RAID 5 on my system right now w/ 3 drives w/ the plan to upgrade to a 4th drive this week. XP64 is giving me nice benchmarks w/ my crossfire setup and all of my games are playing very smooth. I have 4 gigs of ram so it's great to be able to use it all. Running BOINC, BF2, outlook, Firefox, and a few other programs actually gets me down to only about 1gb of free ram and my FPS in BF2 while all that is going on is still floating between 90 - 100fps.

I have a spare 320 drive around, I plan to reinstall x64 and load all my games to this one drive, that way I will not lose the progress over formatting as I had in the past. I have a 4gb kit handy and I would love to get full use of it. Hopefully it is solid and stable for me as it is for those above

Last edited:
Back