• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP SP2 RC2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zip22

i saw that there was a RC2 available, and seeing as how RC1 was working great for me, i thought id give RC2 a try. following the instructions, i uninstalled RC1, updated to v5 of the upate program, but RC2 never showed up when i tried to update. i was dissapointed, but thought i would come back and figure it all out.

that was yesterday (actually very early thismorning). thisafternoon when i got back from work, my computer had everything bad on it. adaware picked up 319 objects and spybot picked up at least an additional 100. not to mention my symantec antivirus going nuts from an exe that kept trying to run. my virtual memory was overrun with all the processes and searchbars that were running. needless to say, i was :mad:. before now, my computer had never had a popup or virus or searchbar of anykind. RC1 blocked even the popups i wanted and nothing would install without me knowing.

since that install had been "de-flowered" i reformatted. now, before i do another virgin install, i want to be able to install RC2 without having to connect to the internet that raped my oh so innocent system. the only file i can find is this .img file (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...b3-585e-47d9-bcc1-980879b69b34&DisplayLang=en) which supposedly can be burned onto a cd. express nero certainly cannot burn it, so i am looking for either an .exe of RC2 or a good program to use to burn the img to a disk.

:mad: and i had everything just how i liked it. :mad: :cry: :mad:

never let your guard down....

Last edited:

Asmodues

Registered
you could try alcohol 120 or easy cd, odd that nero isnt picking it up, working fine on mine

Edit- seems alcohol has been killed, i do think i have a backup of it somewhere if you want ot try it

stang8118

I just installed RC2 last night... i haven't really noticed any improvments in my system, but the new firewall is pretty cool.

OP
zip22

zip22

are you sure that .exe you linked to is the latest build of SP2? i thought i found that one before, but it was actually not the newest build. now i cant find find the download site...

OP
zip22

zip22

one more question, do you think the spyware/adaware would have somehow gotten into my second partition. the second partition on my hard drive has my documents and mp3s. i realise its possible, but is it likely? or does the bad stuff tend to stay in the windows file system?

OP
zip22

zip22

the file is an img file that nero wouldnt recognize. it seems like most other burning programs would, though. i am going to use the exe though, thanks for the help