• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows98se password question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tacos

How come when I log in on windows98se under name and password you can just press cancel and it will automatically let you in without typing in the password? Is there anyway for me to change this and set it up to where the password has to be entered to enter? thanks

As far as I am aware, 98SE doesn't have anything in itself to correct that. You'll have to go to third-party software to correct the situation.

Oni said:
Nope, you can't correct that. 9x/ME aren't exactly the height of security.
Microsoft, Security!?!?!?!? those two words together are one of the greatest oxymorons HA HA:D :D :D :D

Stool is right, you need third party software to correct this problem, or you could go get W2K if you can aford it.

tacos said:
How come when I log in on windows98se under name and password you can just press cancel and it will automatically let you in without typing in the password? Is there anyway for me to change this and set it up to where the password has to be entered to enter? thanks
If you want to have to login to have access to that computer when the logon screen comes on just put in a user name and password and that will be what you use to log on ..By default there is no password so you can just hit cancel and you can log on. You can disable this logon screen in options if you do not want to have a password.

How do I disable it?

If there is no need in having it. Could you explain to me how to disable it? thanks

I know that it can be turned off (the cancel button) as the win95 pcs at our school have that set up. However, this is the login screen for the network, not the non-networked login screen.

Sure sounds like what I said originally. The only way to correct this is third-party software.

stool said:
Sure sounds like what I said originally. The only way to correct this is third-party software.

I've never heard of any software that can fix Windows9x login security problems. Do you know the name of any 3rd party software to do this?

Back