• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wine and the keyboard...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mirko_3

Remember StarCraft? Probably one of the best games ever... That's what I was thinking today, and thought, hell, why not, let's install starcraft! I knew that It was supposed to be quite easy and problem free in linux... So I installed it with wine, no problems here. Fired it up and found out that the keyboard wasn't sending input to starcraft but to the console! So I closed that console, but I guess the keyboard is now simply sending input to the desktop... Anything I can do about it? Thanks...

klingens

How old is your wine? I always found that for wine it´s best to have the latest and greatest. If you can´t get it to work. you might have to run winex for it. wine and winex can be installed side by side, so no problems there

OP
mirko_3

mirko_3

winex isn't free :(
and I have the latest version of wine in the portage tree...

XWRed1

This is why Wine is far worse than a real port. Stupid things like this.

Set Wine to run with a "desktop" of its own. I think the setting in the config file is "Desktop". Pretty much what that does is give you a window of whatever size you say, and everything in Wine thinks that is the computer's entire display.

OP
mirko_3

mirko_3

ok thanks. will try, but now I'm trying to get Dreamweaver to work first :)

klingens

It´s semi-free with a CVS version you can compile. But I agree: it´s not really free. the bigger problem will be the missing copyprotection emulation tho, so you´d need a NoCD patch for running Starcraft

OP
mirko_3

mirko_3

As long as I own the game, using a crack won't really bother me... thanks for the support guys...

Titan386

I don't think that you'll need to evade the copy protection for Starcraft, at least I've never had to. Newer games won't work without somehting like that, though.

BTW, if you plan on using battle.net, there are lots of visual issues with it under Wine or WineX. Usually, all the windows and dialog boxes will appear black, and they won't remove themselves from the screen when you close them. So the end result is everything layers on top of previous stuff, to make the display totally unreadable after a little while.

Yeah, a native port would have been better.

OP
mirko_3

mirko_3

Yeah, I've done some research and I've seen about the battlenet issues... also, come to think about it, the game starts... it's just the keyboard, but I've seen some complaints about the same problem on some forums, and still have to try Titan's tip about displays...

Titan386

You might want to try a different version of Wine and see if it fixes the keyboard problem. I've found that each new version fixes old bugs and creates new ones :rolleyes:

There is also the WineX CVS to try. The instructions for installing via CVS can be found at www.transgaming.com , and unlike the retail version of WineX, CVS is free. The last time I used the WineX CVS with starcraft, the b.net problem was slightly better: instead of black boxes, they were colored :)

OP
mirko_3

mirko_3

hehe...
I've just downloaded winex-cvs, and it solves some problems and creates some new ones... :)
I've finally gotten dreamweaver to work (the forums at wine's app database are an unvaluable resource) and will try with starcraft again soon...

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
Wine/X is such a hit or miss proposition with some of these games. Even when you pay for packaged WineX, you'll see the same problems as a properly configured CVS WineX.

I thanked my lucky stars that Grand Theft Auto 3 worked on the second try with WineX. Every other game I have tried has taken a few tries. The first try with this one, it complained about a missing OLE dll which I was able to find on a Windows machine and throw into my fake Windows installation.

Next time I reformat my machine I think the way to go is to make sure my NTFS partitions get mounted and to install the games using Windows, and have WineX use the Windows install on the NTFS partition. Seems like you'd be heading off a lot of issues by installing the games in Windows (and having all the Windows dll's and components existing)

nihili

Inactive Doc Logic Philosophical Mod
SickBoy said:

Next time I reformat my machine I think the way to go is to make sure my NTFS partitions get mounted and to install the games using Windows, and have WineX use the Windows install on the NTFS partition. Seems like you'd be heading off a lot of issues by installing the games in Windows (and having all the Windows dll's and components existing)

The problem with this is that Linux can't reliably write to NTFS, so if the game writes to any files while it's running, that won't work. If you put Windows and the games on a FAT partition, then you should get the best possible results.

Titan386

nihili said:

If you put Windows and the games on a FAT partition, then you should get the best possible results.

That's what I do. Even then, many things simply don't work. Installation can be done in Windows (which is rather unsatisfactory, IMO) but problems often occur at run time. For example, Battlefield 1942, which is supposed to be supported in WineX 3, locks up and begins looping the sound when I join any game. I would say the only game I have that works decently under WineX is Warcraft 3 (and the performance is noticably less than that I get in Windows).

Wine and WineX may sound nice in concept, but they really are a poor solution. For applications, you can generally find a native Linux program that can be used instead of the Windows program. Games are another issue, but hopefully we'll see more native ports in the future. I don't see WineX becoming good enough that will be able to run a majority of Windows games anytime soon.

OP
mirko_3

mirko_3

But I don't think games are really a big problem... after all, if are a gamer, you dual boot windows/linux to have the best performance available and the latest drivers...
Wine would be more useful for people who are trying to get 100% to Linux but are missing a few apps - in my case, Dreamweaver. And with the wine version that comes with crossover office, I installed it.
Starcraft was just something I installed since I had read that it was virtually a problem free-game, and I really loved that game... but I can live without it (at least until starcraft 2 comes out, if ever :D)

XWRed1

Did you ever play Brood Wars? They left the ending totally open for a Starcraft 2.

OP
mirko_3

mirko_3

Yeah, Brood War was really a great expansion, it totally change gameplay...
But Blizzard doesn't seem to be working on it now - I mean, I suppose Warcraft III (which I really don't like) is supposed to fulfill the strategy games sector, and now they are releasing a first-person shooter for both pc and consoles, so if Starcraft II ever comes out, I suppose It'll be in a couple years... sigh...
But I'm still a subscriber to Blizzard's news letter... just in case...