• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WINE how to...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beelzebub

Is it just me, or is configuration of Wine to work on Linux confusing. I have looked on tons of sites, read the installation manual from WineHQ, and I am still confused on how to get this thing to work.

I want to get the Seti client running through wine because some dude in the Seti Forum said it runs faster than the Linux version. Can anyone help me?

I have gotten as far as this (with the help from here )

~/.wine/ <all folders installed>
~/.wine/config

Now I put the setiathome.exe file in the programs directory in /.wine, and type wine setiathome.exe from that directory and I get a ton of fixme:font text in the window.

It sounds like part of your wine configuration when you make it isn't all there, and there are still a few more packages you may need to install... Because it seems as if you installed via rpm instead of compiling it from source.

The codeweavers setup UI is really useful. You can also edit your config files manually if you wish, in /etc/wine.conf I think.

I installed the RPM packages from the Mandrake 8.2 CDs. I will give the codeweavers version a shot and let you all know how I fare with it. Thanks guys :D

SWEEEEET! You guys helped me out 99% I got Wine to work and have just one more problem now. How to you pass program commands while using wine???

Example...

I want to use the windows seti client with wine, but for some reason I cannot insert the proxy server into the command line. Here is what I type in the seti virtual directory...

wine seti.exe -proxy 192.168.1.13:5516

Wine doesn't like the proxy command. I can run seti.exe perfectly without the -proxy on it, but I want to run it through my setiqueue cache proxy. Anyone know how to fix this?

Hey glad to help, funny thing is i found the codeweaver's version of wine through the link you put up :D

I wouldn't know how to help w/ passing the commands on through wine though... although i don't think you actually need to be in your .wine directory... have you tried running it w/o the .exe extension? that's all i can think think of right now...

/me goes back to copying files from NTFS partitions to FAT32 partition mountable by linux...

Tonight is a great night. I got it going :D:D:D

gotta do this...
wine -- seti.exe -command

I am so happy!! Thanks everyone. Now I no longer need windows at all. :burn:

Beelzebub said:
Tonight is a great night. I got it going :D:D:D

gotta do this...
wine -- seti.exe -command

I am so happy!! Thanks everyone. Now I no longer need windows at all. :burn:

I think
wine "seti.exe -command"
should also work, just stick the whole thing in quotes.

Back