• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WinTen home network disappeared

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Robert17

Premium Member
With the WinTen Anniversary Sidegrade came several challenges, one of them being killing my home network. But I can't rejoin because the password I'd been using isn't working. Nor is the one I used before that. Does anyone know where in the OS or registry this can be found? My searches have resulted in frustration, not networking.

knoober

Do you mean Homegroup ? I had to dissolve my existing homegroup on the other machines and make a new one.

OP
Robert17

Robert17

Premium Member
Yeah, I'd searched MS's KB data and tech help forums and the fixes that were recommended including deleting this file (windows/serviceprofiles/localservice/appdata/roaming/peernetworking)didn't work; and there's no 'print password' option under the home networking and file sharing options folders. Kinda at a loss.

OP
Robert17

Robert17

Premium Member
On the phone with an MS tech for 1-1/2 hours, got it resolved. There are three files under Peer Networking that had to be deleted to reset the entire network (3 units). What an adventure!

OP
Robert17

Robert17

Premium Member
I finally got a few minutes to piece this together in case someone on WinTen, particularly since AU, may have this issue. As above I lost my network. This was the sequence to get back to Network Nirvana.

Turn off any networked PCs, leaving the primary, or admin, PC running. Open the File Explorer in WinTen, then shuffle down this sequence:
Windows/Service Profiles/Local Service/AppData/Roaming/PeerNetworking.

There are three files to delete:
Idstore.sst
Idstore.sst.lkg
Idstore.sst.new

Reboot and go into the Control Panel, Networking, from there you create a new network. Afterwards, turn on the other PCs & lappies and plug ‘n play.
:D