• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Winter is here, who else is gonna use this to their advantage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twigs

Its still kinda warm here in St. Louis, but when it does get cold, I have a plan. I doubt my parents would let me open all the windows and turn the heat off for a day, but what about 1 room? I could get a winter coat and close my door, hope it doesnt chill the whole house. I'm hoping to get this thing past 3.6 on air(my SP-94 is in the mail, I have a 80 cfm 120mm fan with adapter for it when it comes), which I doubt will be a problem considering I'm running 3.3(236 fsb in cpu-z) at 2-3-2-5 1:1 all the time(havn't gone for max yet, just decided to stop there) with a spark 7. Who else is gonna do something similar?

Some losers beat my top Radeon 7200 3dMark01SE score. So, at the moment I'm doing the L12 mod, got an 1800+ DLt3C, voltmodding my mobo, upgrading all HS, and I'm going to do the same thing... put a towel at the bottom of my door, put on a jacket, open the window, fire up the machine, and go to town... thoughs losers are going to be anialated. I think my goal for room temp is 35F-40F. I wanna be able to get to 233mhz FSB on my mobo with a normal room temp. Hopefully all the modding will do it.

I was thinking of have a vent bringing the cold air from outside to the inside of my case..

Guys, If youve got a window close enough, you might consider doing the "Dryer Hose Mod".

Cut a board to fit inside the window frame so that you can close the window down on top of the board, cut a hole in the center of the board and mount a 120mm fan, connect some flexible vinyl dryer hose ducting and run it to the front or side of the case.

That way you can pipe in cold air, without freezing yourself, on my system when I connect and run this setup I can watch temps drop from an average of 48-50c down to 36-38 in just a few short minutes depending on outside temps, I cant wait till it gets really cold to see how far I can bring it down:cool:

Laterz,
3sixes -aka- dafanman:cool:

3sixes,
your method sounds like a reasonable way to achieve decent aircooled temps.
Freezing my *** off in a wide open room just doesn't seem worth it to me.

haha if u live in houston like me, winter basically consists of a t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops

i pulled that off yesterday (w/o flip-flops) and it was actually very warm..

clocker2,
It was the most cost effective, removable, plug and play setup I could devise:p I live in san antonio, so you know im not going to get to use it much:p :p

I just turned it on a few minutes ago, temps have now gone from 47c to 42c.

Like I said earlier, still waiting for some really cold temps, (here they consider 30 to be absolutely frigid:p ) but hoping for some 15-20 degree days later in the year, if we get em, it will only be for 2-3 days at most..........................

if your going for the hose way, watch out!

if the cold air enters your case (which is at room temp) then the H2O in the air will condensate into water, and class, do we know what water does to electronic components? :p

bwa ha. i did this last year on my 1600+ project and got temps as low as 5ºC on air!
completly free too so nothing wrong with that eh. Where i live, there is little moisture in the air. we are a few hundred feet above sea level and 800 miles inland. the risk of condensation is pretty low from what i have seen. but since the air from inside my tower was always fed from the outside, there was no risk of air mixing. even my exaust air was like -8ºc

I plan to do this again and see how much better i can make my little 2100+. but i think i have hit the wall. trying to give it too much vcore seems to prematurely kill me. 1.85 is stable. sure enough. but 1.875 or 1.9. no juice.. i might be capped at 2496 for the tiem being.

Yeah nice to see some fellow texans in here. Yeah im from San Antonio also, thougth about the window mod but figured if i wanted to get temps under 30F then i would have to wait for that one night a year it freezes outside.

Yeah, thank god for that one night:D
Ive been studying and planning this for awhile, I am after all 3sixes -aka- dafanman:cool: and there's a reason for that:)

But over the last couple months, the few chances ive had to use is, condesation was never an issue, plus the fact that the dryer hose is filterd at both ends with pantyhose sections;)

lol, I was just thinking about hooking up a duct from the window to my processor. I had my windown open a few hours ago and since my computer is right next to it, my CPU temps were down 6 fricken degrees. And that's with only a mild wind blowing.

A friend of mine put his tower by the window and vented cold air directly on top of his HS. (he lived on 4th floor :eek: )

Several times he got his temp down to ~15 and lower while folding full time.

Jognt said:
if your going for the hose way, watch out!

if the cold air enters your case (which is at room temp) then the H2O in the air will condensate into water, and class, do we know what water does to electronic components? :p
I thought that it was the other way around...as warmer air hits a colder surface, and the air cools, the water in the air will condense. Thus a cold drink on a hot day will have condensation on it: the warm air is rapidly cooled when it encounters the cold drink, and air cannot hold as much water at lower temperatures. This is why you have to put insulation around the CPU with phase change cooling and such that makes the CPU colder than the air around it.

Back