• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Winxp and linux?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xvi3tsoljahx

i have winxp pro and i want to have linux on it too. Is it possible? Which OS should be good for a newbie like me? and what sites can i go to download software for linux?

Fast-Fob

Some people prefer to have Linux loaded first, then
load Windows.
The LILO boot file is more stable that Wins.
(word of caution, LILO is a pain to remove. you'll need a
disk wipe utility to clean it out)
I'm not sure where to DL it from, I just bought RED HATs
home edition for like 20 bucks. I wanted a "mainstream"
linux system so I went with that.
But it's out there....

Sorry i'm no help with the Linux on top of WinXP.
good luck!

David

Forums Super Moderator
xvi3tsoljahx said:
i have winxp pro and i want to have linux on it too. Is it possible? Which OS should be good for a newbie like me? and what sites can i go to download software for linux?

Try www.sourceforge.net and www.freshmeat.net for free linux software.

As for XP and Linux, its perfectly doable.

Install windows first as normal. Leave a few gig for Linux. Then install Linux. SuSE, Mandrake and Redhat are IMO the best choices for people new to Linux.

Linux will install a bootloader like LILO that gives you choice of which OS to boot at system start up.

LILO/other bootloaders can be removed by running fdisk /mbr from a dos bootdisk.

David

naif

Fast-Fob said:
(word of caution, LILO is a pain to remove. you'll need a
disk wipe utility to clean it out)

Doing "fdisk /mbr" from DOS would be enough to remove the Master Boot Records(LILO resides on the MBR which will remove it).

naif

Depends on what type of Installation you want and what distrobution you have. I guess a partition of 2 to 3 GB would be well enough. I have Slackware 8.1 and I did a complete installation on a 3 GB partition which now has 1 GB left.