• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WinXP Pro? # of Partitions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CreePinG_DeatH

WInXP Pro
60gb harddrive

I would like to know the best optimization of my hd...

I was thinking ~5gb for OS, ~10gb for games, 15gb Office suites N work data, ~10gb internet stuff, ~19 programfiles, and ~1gb for swap file(512mb ddr). Makes sense or no?

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
My setup is 10gig for installed programs, games and swap file, and 50gigs for other files / data files / etc.

Personally, I find the best way to do it is to have all of your OS + Installed programs seperate, because they rarely change in size, so everything stays defragmented. Also, if your OS dies, I can wipe the C: drive, and not worry. All of my data is on my D: drive. I even rig my C:\Documents and Settings dir to be D:\Documents and Settings, so my profiles will stay.

For your setup, you don't need a seperate partition for your swap file, it should do well on any partition (best to put it on one that stays pretty clean & has free space). OS doesn't need 5 gigs for it alone. I think you'll find with that setup that you will run out of space on some partitions, while having lots of free space on other paritions. Less partitions is faster, simpler, and wastes less space.

tread70

su root , what about all the programs that write to the registry all those would have to be reinstalled which is why I just use 8 gb for windows and installed programs (fat32 or ntfs), 10 gb for gaming with a (fat32) , rest for mass storage (ntfs).

su root

tread70 said:
su root , what about all the programs that write to the registry all those would have to be reinstalled
Most programs would have to be reinstalled regardless of what they do. Consider a program like Office.. if you have an exisiting copy, that was installed on a previous OS, chances are it won't work with the new OS install. All of the DLLs and other things that it installed into the windows directories or the registry is no longer there. If it does work, most likely it will not work the same as it used to. It takes me all of 3 hours to bring my main system down, reformat it, and reinstall all my programs and games again.

One of the things I do for customers' systems that have a dead OS is to move everything to C:\OldHardDrive, including everything except the windows directory. That way, if I miss anything when restoring the system, it's still backed up. However, some of my customers went diving into that directory and started running their old programs, thinking they would work. A few of them did, others didn't, and others tried to "reclaim" system DLLs, effectively killing the Win98 OS again :-/.

tread70

Ok, then why make two different partitions for windows and installed programs. If its to remember which programs you had installed , you can always make a notepad and a list of installed programs.
Tread

SinsFeelNatural

tread70 said:
Ok, then why make two different partitions for windows and installed programs. If its to remember which programs you had installed , you can always make a notepad and a list of installed programs.
Tread

I did this and thought it would work, it did sort of but when windows was reinstalled I had to create new shortcuts for the 30 plus programs. And when I did I found most of them didn’t work anyways because of the missing registry keys.

tread70

I did it also but got the same result as you after reloading. So, I quit doing it that way and put all the installed programs into the C: with Windows. It takes the same amount of time either way you do it, unless you back up ur registry after the completed install and the windows folder aswell if you are doing the separate partitions. (I think anyways never tried it like that.):p

fernis

Partition

Think I'm going to do a 15 GB C: partition for XP and programs and let the rest of my data sit on a 65 GB D: partition.

su root

tread70 said:
I did it also but got the same result as you after reloading. So, I quit doing it that way and put all the installed programs into the C: with Windows. It takes the same amount of time either way you do it, unless you back up ur registry after the completed install and the windows folder aswell if you are doing the separate partitions. (I think anyways never tried it like that.):p
Backing up the registry still won't work for some programs, as they install DLLs, and other files for themselves in the windows directories. It also would be a bad idea to reimport the entire registry over the new install.

rayik

I do what su root has suggested. A small partition for xp and installed programs (12 GB) and a large partition for stored files, data, etc (68 GB). (That's good advise. I learned the hard way after getting hit with a virus. I had 1 partition with 50 GB of files to be backed up before reformating.)

I have one further suggestion. After installing win and your commonly used programs, make an image of your xp/program partition. I used powerquest's program. It makes a compressed image and you can put it on cdr. My xp/program partition (6 GB occupied on the 12GB partition) fits on 5 cdr. I've heard that Acronis makes another good imaging program.

I'd recommend putting your xp/program partition on cdr. (Powerquest will run from a floppy.) That way if anything goes wrong, you just pop in your powerquest floppy and restore your hdd. Complete re-install of win and your commonly used programs in 10 minutes. Lot faster than re-installing everything.

OP
CreePinG_DeatH

CreePinG_DeatH

Another question came up... back when win95 was "it" and win98 was coming out, a popular tweaking idea was to make specified directories. By this I mean if I wanted to install q3arena, instead of c:\programfiles\quakeiiiarena it would be c:\programfiles\games\quakeiiiarena. This was to enable faster searches for files. Has it gotten to the point where these the speed increase from these "searches" would not be noticeable?

FunkDaMonkMan

i guess it would make the initial search time faster.. because the computer wouldn't have to look through the whole program files folder to find the quake folder.. the games folder would be much smaller.

I don't know much about hard drive access and such.. but it seems it may help SOME... probably not noticible though.