• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wiping out raid 0 array

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yfan

How do I completely wipe out an old raid 0 array from an onboard HP raid controller and move the harddrives to a new promise raid chip based motherboard.

I forgot to disable the array when disassembling the motherboard and now i'm stuck unable to install winxp pro because it hangs at the "Setup is starting windows" screen. I'm installing it in the correct stops(F6, raid drivers..etc)

I'm thinking whats left over from the old array is confusing windows into thinking that the new raid controller drivers are wrong so its crashing. Anyone have any suggestions?

i tried Fdisk. Can't format the drives because they're invalid. Would i have to do a low level format?

turd

Make sure that the boot to raid or enable raid option is set in your MB

then when you boot your computer you should get a raid screen after post that is finding you raid array. Also at that screen you should have an option to configure your array.

Once you do that XP should just pick up your array as one drive and you should be able to format from withing setup.

What you May be seeing is that XP is not recognizing your drivers at all. Others have had thiis problem with XP and the solution was to not press F6 for 3rd party controllers and let XP ID and instal using its own drivers for your MB RAID.

OP
yfan

yfan

i tried configuring the raid array the first time and it just wouldn't let me get past the starting up screen...i'm going to go try the second thing now...