• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wire Trick

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thisisnuts

Registered
I have a Asus TusL2-C. I'm considering picking up the celeron 1.1a from newegg.com. I guess it is tA1 stepping.

1) is this stepping ok for overclocking?

2) Do I need to do the wire trick or is this only for the Asus CUSL2.

JCLW

Not many people have tB1 stepping chips so most of the results you in the database see are for tA1s (click here for database).

You should be able to do 1436 @133FSB easily.

No you don't need to do any wire tricks, unless you want to raise the default Vcore.

- JW

OP
T

thisisnuts

Registered
Thanks JW

I'll pick up the 1.1a at newegg.com. If you know where I can get a tB1. that'll be great.

On the topic of The WIRE TRICK. If I don't need to do it if I overclock the 1.1a. Why then are others doing it.

I understand it's to fool the system into thinking that the celeron requires a higher default voltage, but why do it if it isn't necessary.

One thread indicated that if you don't do the wire trick, and I try to over clock, the system won't post.

Confuseing. Can you explain.

Thanks

thisisnuts

Jola

Registered
I had the problem on my CUSL2. If the computer is warm it would boot and run 100% stable at FSB=140.

But on a cold boot it wouldn't post at FSB=140. This is because the BIOS on the TUSL2/CUSL2 lets the computer boot at the default voltage (1.475v) and only increases the voltage to the selected voltage AFTER posting. So in my case you have to do a wire trick (not the same one as required by the CUSL2) to increase the default voltage that the computer will post at.

I actually got fed up with all the wires at that stage and just dropped the FSB to 133 at which my CUSL2 will post and run stable.

But this is why you need a wire trick on the TUSL2 if you o/c very high. Exactly where your cold boot problem will start probably depends on your individual CPU and Mobo. I also have a TUSL2-C with a 1.1A (no wire tricks). That one also posts fine at FSB=133, so that seems to be a good place to start.

OP
T

thisisnuts

Registered
Thanks Jola.

Now it makes sense.

I also wasn't aware that the wire trick for CUSL2 and TUSL2-C were different.

That explains why I saw two different explanation and displays about the wire trick. At first it was throwing me off.

One trick had three pins involved.

The other trick had four pins connecting.

thisisnuts

:cool:

Jola

Registered
You have to connect wires at two different places on the CPU to get the 1.1A to work on the CUSL2. This is not required for the TUSL2.

But there is a third connection applying to both to get the boot voltage to be higher. Otherwise you get the cold boot problem at high FSB's (typically > 133 on the 1.1A).

Glad I could be of assistance.